Women’s soccer takes 4-1 in over American in first Patriot League game

After starting the season 2-5-1 in non-conference play, Boston University women’s soccer opened Patriot League play Saturday afternoon at Nickerson Field against American University.

Scoring two goals in the first half, the Terriers (3-5-1, 1-0 PL) didn’t look back and took a commanding 4-1 win over the Eagles (4-4, 0-1 PL).

In the first ten minutes of play, both teams went back and forth on their sides of the field. At the seven-minute mark, Eagle midfielder Emily Smith made a corner kick towards the right corner of the Terrier goalpost. Morgan Messner managed to leap up and retrieve the ball, preventing the Terriers from being behind early.

The first of these two goals in the first half came from senior forward Shannon Keefe, who scored her first goal the season on a strike from a deflected ball. This goal would also be the first goal of the season in the Patriot League for the Terriers.

Through the next thirty minutes of the first half, BU received three corner kick opportunities and held American University to no corner kick opportunities and no shots on goal. 

One second before the end of the first half, BU would increase their lead to 2-0 with a header goal from sophomore defender Margaret Berry with a corner kick assist from sophomore forward Caitlyn DiScarina.

The Terriers would keep the offensive momentum coming in the second half with Keefe picking up her second goal of the game in the 53rd minute with a strike on a slow-rolling pass from senior midfielder Chloee Sagmoe. 

American would respond and make the game 3-1 15 minutes later in the 69thminute mark with a close-range strike from freshman midfielder Alysa Vazquez, putting the Eagles’ deficit back to two goals.

For the next ten minutes, American would be unable to gain any more offensive momentum to make a comeback, attempting no shots while the Terriers had two shot attempts and a corner kick. 

The dagger struck the Eagles in the 81st minute when the Terriers scored another goal to jump out to a  4-1 lead. Sophomore forward Ashley Raphael got the ball in the goal from an assist from junior forward Anna Heilferty. The second half would wind down with 4-1 being the final score in the BU win.

The Terriers play their next game against Stony Brook University on Wednesday at 6 p.m. The Sea Wolves (6-3, 1-0 America East) is also coming off of their first in-conference game, picking up a 2-0 shutout against the University of Maine (4-3, 0-1 AE) Sunday.