Cross Country, Sports, Tennis, Tennis

Tennis and Cross country Recap

Cross country

Womens: The women’s cross country team competed in the 5k race at the Coast-to Coast Battle in Franklin Park and finished 16th overall, placing three runners in the top 100 with a total of 441 points.  

Freshman Sophia Jacobs-Townsley placed 41th with a time of 18:18, followed by junior Corinne Batsu (18:43) and senior Abigail Gugel (18:57) who finished 69th and 86th respectively. Rounding out the Terriers score were junior Laura Parkinson (19:35) with a finish of 142nd place and sophomore Angela Castronuovo (19:42) with a finish of 147th place. 

The Terriers will be competing again on Oct. 5 in the Paul Short Run at Lehigh University. 

Mens: On Sept. 20, the BU men’s cross country team competed in the 8k race at the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Franklin Park. Two Terrier runners finished in the top 60, helping BU finish 18th overall with a total of 423 points.   

Redshirt junior Brett Davidson placed 56th with a time of 25:22 and freshman Foster Mallack placed 60th with a time of 25:26.  Davidson and Mallack were followed by junior Jonathon Fierro who finished 94th, as well as senior Paul Luevano who finished 110th with a time of 26:15 and sophomore Joe Grandizio who finished 113th with a time of 26:16. Freshman Kevin Murphy (26:37), senior Greg Pelose (26:37), sophomore Marcel Aubry (26:38), freshman Charlie Hammell (27:00), and junior Logan Broedner (27:01) all competed for the Terriers as well. 

The Terriers will be back in action on Oct. 5  for the Paul Short Run at Lehigh University. 

Tennis

Womens: The BU women’s tennis team continued their fall season over the weekend at the Harvard Fall Classic. 

Freshman Erica Di Battista was the highlight of the team’s performance. Di Battista posted a perfect 3-0 record in singles, defeating Britany Lau from Brown University (6-4, 4-6, 10-7), Jenna Friedel from Harvard (6-4, 4-6, 10-4) and Hailey Wilcox from Boston College (5-7, 6-2, 10-7).  All three of her opponents were highly rated tennis recruits and Friedel is a two-time All-Ivy League honoree.  

Junior transfer Alex Angyalosy saw her first action as a Terrier and posted two straight set victories over Brown’s Peri Sheinen (6-4, 6-3) and BC’s Marion Conklin (6-3, 6-2).  

Di Battista and Angyalosy went on to team up in doubles, defeating Brown 6-2 and BC 7-6. 

On Oct.17 to 22, the Terriers will travel to West Point to compete in the ITA Regional Championships. 

Mens: Over the weekend the BU men’s tennis team continued their fall schedule at the Ivy Plus tournament at Yale University. 

The trio of juniors consisting of Owen Lu, Pete Siozios and Ethan Kolsky all earned singles victories. Lu defeated his Yale adversary by a score of 6-4, 5-7, 6-4.  Kolsky cruised to an easy 6-2, 6-1 win over his opponent from Brown. Siozios absolutely routed his opponent from Dartmouth College with a 6-2, 6-0 victory. In doubles Siozios and Lu teamed up together for an 8-7 win over Dartmouth and an 8-1 win over Delaware.  

The Terriers will play again on Oct. 4 and 6 in the Dartmouth Invitational.