Women’s hockey sweeps Vermont in weekend series

The Boston University women’s hockey team went undefeated against the University of Vermont in the games on Nov. 24 and 25.

Freshman Nadia Mattivi, shown in a Nov. 12 game against Yale University, scored her first goal for Boston University in the game against the University of Vermont Saturday. RACHEL SHARPLES/ DFP FILE

Prior to this weekend, the United States Women’s National Team announced their training camp roster with Terriers’ junior forward Jesse Compher and redshirt senior forward Sammy Davis making the final cut.

“It’s nice feather in their cap,” said BU’s head coach Brian Durocher. “It’s nice to have quality, high-end players. [They] are high competitors …very hardworking, and they set the bar very high for our team.”

Saturday evening, the Terriers (10-4-1, 5-4-1 Hockey East) took the first game against the Catamounts (5-5-5, 2-5-3 Hockey East) in overtime.

Sophomore goaltender Kate Stuart got the start for the Terriers, making 35 saves including three in overtime to help lift BU over UVM.

“I give [Stuart] a lot of credit,” Durocher said. “She’s playing very well. The kids know that they are going to get timely goaltending just about every night.”

Freshman defender Nadia Mattivi of BU scored her first collegiate goal, Compher recorded her second short-handed tally in two games, while junior forward Nara Elia scored the overtime winner as BU took game one against the Catamounts this weekend.

Sunday afternoon at the Gutterson Fieldhouse saw a bit of a slow start for the Terriers.

Just six seconds into the opening twenty minutes, sophomore forward Theresa Schafzahl of UVM was able to skate the puck into the offensive zone for the Catamounts and shot it past junior goaltender Corinne Schroeder of BU to take the lead.

It took about 15 minutes for the Terriers to get on the board. Freshman forward Julia Nearis of BU weaved through the Catamounts’ defense and shot the puck over the glove-side of UVM freshman goaltender Natalie Ferenc to even the score.

The Terriers would end the opening period on the penalty kill and open the second stanza of play down a player, as freshman defenseman Mattivi was called for checking 18:22 into the first period, the second period went better overall for the Terriers.

Senior defenseman Abby Cook of BU and Compher both scored on power play opportunities for the Terriers, while junior forward Kristina Schuler tallied an even-strength goal to give BU a 4-1 lead to go into the third period.

At 23 seconds into the final 20 minutes of play, freshman defenseman Sara Levesque of UVM was sent off for tripping.

Compher went on to score her second goal of the game on the power play and third power play goal for the Terriers in the game.

Durocher was impressed by the team’s showing in the power plays

“I think the power play is what really got us going in the second and third period,” Durocher said. “Thankful we kept one on the board for UVM. That was kind of the goal for the last 20, 35 minutes.”

BU won 5-1 against the Catamounts, ultimately sweeping the weekend series.

The Terriers have two weeks off before taking on Boston College (11-3-1, 10-3-1) in December.

Durocher remains upbeat about the team’s chances against BC.

“It will be a time for a couple people who are banged up to hopefully get healthy,” Durcoher said. “Hopefully it will give the kids a little bit of space for academics and rest, but also to prepare for the last two games before the break.”