Sports, Wrestling

Three Terriers nab third-place finishes at Open

The Boston University wrestling team competed in the 2008 Nittany Lion Open Sunday at Penn State University. The tournament did not count toward the squad’s record, but several Terriers had successful days.

BU received standout efforts from senior Mike Roberts, who finished third in the 149-pound weight class, freshman Hunter Meys and sophomore John Hall, both of whom finished third in their respective 174- and 197-pound weight classes.’

‘We faced some top-notch competition ‘-‘- about 350 kids were at this pretty major tournament,’ BU coach Carl Adams said. ‘To have three kids place third is really great for us. If anything, I think we over-performed.’

Juniors Ryan Goddu and Abbie Rush also had notable performances, combining for seven wins in the 141-pound weight class. Rush went 3-2 on the day, while Goddu finished 4-1.

BU also got wins from senior Jim Connors, who won twice in the 285-pound weight class, in addition to senior Ben Mandelbraut and redshirt freshman Dan Kennedy, each of whom won their opening-round bouts.

‘This tournament will hopefully give us some momentum,’ Adams said. ‘We have another major tournament, the Southern Scuffle, coming up next, so I think our performance here will help our confidence. We want to get rolling before second semester’s conference matches.’

The Terriers will compete in the Southern Scuffle Dec. 29-30 at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro.