Gilroy, Higgins out for Saturday’s game due to injury

Seniors Matt Gilroy and Chris Higgins will not play in Saturday’s showdown against No. 12 Boston College at Agganis Arena after being injured in the No. 2 Boston University men’s hockey team’s 4-1 victory over Merrimack College Friday night at Lawler Arena.

In his postgame address, BU coach Jack Parker said Higgins received six stitches in his head and sustained a concussion after the forward was driven into the boards by Merrimack sophomore defenseman Fraser Allan during the second period. The recipient of a similar hit by Warriors freshman forward Ryan Flanigan in the third period, Gilroy suffered a dislocated right shoulder and an undiagnosed ‘chest problem,’ according to Parker.

Parker was non-committal about the severity of the injuries to his starting left winger and right defenseman, who have combined for 35 points this season.’ ‘

‘They’re severe enough that neither one of them will play [Saturday] night,’ he said.

Friday’s contest was marred by 97 penalty minutes, 50 of which came in the third period.