Other, Sports

James and Ford earn top-three finishes

A pair of Boston University women’s long jumpers turned in excellent performances at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia on Thursday and Friday, highlighting a busy weekend of action for both the men’s and the women’s track and field teams.

Senior Tahari James finished second out of 11 competitors in the championship flight of the triple jump on Friday with a distance of 13.18 meters. James also placed eighth in Thursday’s long jump (also in the championship flight), recording a mark of 5.94 meters.

James’ terrific performance was not the only bright spot for the Terriers this weekend because junior Whitney Ford also recorded solid jumps. She finished third in the Eastern long jump competition in the college flight on Thursday with a distance of 5.94 meters. On Friday, Ford recorded a triple jump mark of 11.70 meters, which was good enough for 14th place in the triple jump finals of the college flight.

James and Ford also participated on the BU 4-by-100-meter relay team along with sophomore Laura Martin and freshman Shelby Walton. The Terriers finished 24th with a time of 46.99 seconds in the national college event and sixth in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference event, recording a time of 46.52.

The BU women’s 4-by-200-meter relay team finished 34th out of 53 competitors on Friday with a time of 1 minute, 39.52 seconds.