Draws with Buckeyes fail to meet expectations for No. 10 team in the country

Expectations are high for the No. 10 Boston University women’s hockey team. The Terriers, in their fifth season at the Division-I level, start the season with their highest ranking in program history ‘- No. 10 in the nation ‘- and predicted to finish third in Hockey East behind the No. 5 University of New Hampshire and No. 6 Boston College.

With such high expectations, it’s no surprise the Terriers’ two ties against Ohio State this weekend come with some disappointment. A team of Ohio State’s caliber, who last year compiled an 8-25-3 record, is not the kind of quality opponent expected to give BU trouble, especially at home.

In both games, the Terriers entered the third period with a lead, but each time they failed to sustain it. In the second game, Ohio State outshot BU in the third period 19-6, scoring two power play goals to even up the game at four.’

BU coach Brian Durocher said he is aware that Saturday’s game was one his team should have won.

‘[Saturday] we were in a good enough situation where we really should have closed the deal, but we didn’t and that was because of real good goaltending,’ Durocher said. ‘I think people were playing hard. Our energy was pretty good but again we didn’t get it done and that’s frustrating for all of us.’

Ohio State freshman goalie Chelsea Knapp helped hold BU to just two points on the weekend. However, there are several interior issues that naturally occur in the start of a season.’

The Terriers have three freshman forwards and two freshman defensemen who are still getting used to the high level of competition within collegiate hockey.’

‘Our team still has some new parts that are learning the game,’ Durocher said. ‘We are working on trying to get the young kids up to speed, getting them some more ice time, getting them some rhythm, making sure they know what’s happening with our system. We have six days of practice before we play a game so it’s not like we can drill everything into them or get them enough reps with everything.’

Although the Terriers have some new faces on the team, Saturday’s game showed the potential for this freshman class. Forward Jill Cardella contributed with a goal and an assist, while forward Cristina Wiley tallied a goal of her own.’ ‘ ‘

Much of BU’s success and failure depends greatly on its ability to score on the power play and to keep the puck out of the net with a player down. Last year, the Terriers converted on 14.3 percent of their power plays and killed 83.9 percent of their opponents’ power plays.’

‘We’ve got to continue to work on special teams and they are such a big part of the game here,’ Durocher said. ‘[Ohio State] went 3-for-7 and I think we moved it pretty well on the power play but you still want to work on it a little bit more and see if we can finish the job.’

Ohio State scored on four of its 14 power play chances in the two games combined, while BU only converted on one of its nine chances. In order to take its game to the next level, BU must greatly improve the quality of the special teams seen in its first two games.’

Terrier fans can take comfort in the fact that a slow start to the season is not abnormal. As they continue to play more games, the younger players will adjust to both BU’s style of play and the nature of collegiate hockey. A very competitive non-conference schedule should help freshmen adjust to BU’s style of play and unite the team when Hockey East play roles along.’

While looking at the outcome of its first two games may seem disappointing, it ought to be mentioned that BU took some penalties which caused them to give up their lead in the third period. If the number of penalties BU takes can be limited, especially in the third period, this team has what it takes to potentially have the best year in program history.