Field Hockey, Sports

Smith a stalwart in net for Terriers

The Boston University field hockey team started the season with several question marks. A daunting slate of ranked opponents and an inexperienced lineup riddled with injuries have taken their toll on the Terriers thus far. But one area of early concern has turned into a bright spot: junior goalkeeper Amanda Smith.

After redshirting her freshman year, the Avon, Conn. native had just two starts going into the season. Backing up America East Goalkeeper of the Year Kim Kastuk, Smith had a remarkable 0.86 goals against average, including her first collegiate win and shutout. BU coach Sally Starr saw the potential in Smith’s ethic and ability.

‘She’s a kid who has worked hard, [and] she’s gained the respect of her teammates,’ Starr said in the season preview.

So far this season, Smith has been exceptional in goal. She leads America East with two shutouts and ranks in the top five in GAA (2.16), saves (38) and saves per game (3.17). More importantly, with Smith between the pipes, the Terriers have only lost by more than two goals once ‘-‘- this past weekend against No. 13 Duke University. As long as Smith continues her dominance in the cage during conference play, BU can count on having a chance to win every game.

Shots All Around

Another key factor in BU’s chance to compete for the conference championship is maintaining its barrage on their opponents’ goal. Although the Terriers have only scored more than three goals in four games this season, it’s not for lack of effort. Through 12 games, the Terriers have put 168 shots on goal while averaging 14 shots a game, both good for fourth in the conference.

Leading the Terriers in shots are senior co-captain Nikki Lloyd and freshman back Jacinda McLeod, who are ranked first and eighth in the conference, respectively. Despite losing eight games, BU has outshot the opponent in half of its matches and was the first team this season to outshoot No. 3 University of Virginia in the first half. The Terriers also registered more shots against No. 9 Boston College and No. 10 University of Massachusetts-Amherst.

Despite the onslaught of balls on the cage, the Terriers still sit five victories away from a winning record. If more of BU’s shots can find the back of the net, it will have a better opportunity to come away with advantages on the scoreboard as well as in shots.

A Week in Conference

After a week in conference play, America East is shaping up unspectacularly with no early upsets. The top three teams in The Daily Free Press power rankings all handily won their first conference games. Though it may be too soon to rule a team out, every conference game matters, as there are only five such contests for each team.

‘The biggest thing is that we really have to take care of the games we need to take care of and we’ve got to take care of our conference games,’ Starr said in the season preview. BU took care of its first game, shutting out the University of Vermont at home, 2-0.

In other games, senior Nicole Savage scored a hat trick as No. 19 University at Albany routed Fairfield University at home, 7-1. Junior Suzy Clephane and freshman Inge Baijens added two goals each to round out the scoring. The other blowout saw University of Maine double up the University of New Hampshire, 6-3, behind two goals from America East Player of the Week sophomore Stephanie Gardiner.

This weekend brings an intriguing match-up as Maine hosts Albany in the battle of the top two conference seeds. Other games are BU at Fairfield and bottom dweller Vermont hosting preseason favorite UNH.