Chambers lands Philly recruits

The Boston University men’s basketball team roster made a big discovery on Columbus Day, adding three recruits from Friends’ Central High School outside Philadelphia, Pa.

According to ESPN.com, the Terriers received oral commitments from power forward Dom Morris, guard Travis Robinson and point guard H.J. Gaskins. The teammates had been sought by BU coach Patrick Chambers, a former Villanova University assistant coach with Philadelphia connections, and chose BU collectively.

‘We decided all together,’ Gaskins told Alex Schwartz of Northstar Basketball. ‘Trav, Dom and I are family. There is no question about that. It’s beyond basketball. It just so happens we’re brothers both on and off the court.’

Morris, who averaged 12 points and eight rebounds last year, was being recruited by Siena College, Providence College, Pennsylvania State University and La Salle University and ESPN.com ranked him 89th in his position. Robinson, ranked 51st, averaged 12.2 points, 3.7 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 1.9 steals and 1.0 blocks per game and also considered Robert Morris. Gaskins, ranked 162nd, also considered Harvard University, according to Schwartz.

The trio joins Roman Catholic High School’s Anthony Mayo and North Catholic’s Mike Terry as 2010 Philadelphia-area recruits headed for BU.

‘ ‘It’s going to be special,’ Robinson told Schwartz. ‘[The three of us have] made history playing together at Friends’ Central and we plan to help do it at BU, and with the other two Philly guys, I just think it can be that much more special.’