BU looks to turn around AE season vs. UMBC

The Boston University men’s soccer team, once the top dog in America East, is the underdog heading into a crucial test against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County on Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. at Nickerson Field.

The Terriers enter the match-up second from the bottom of the conference standings in large part because of their current three-game losing streak. BU (7-5-2, 1-3 AE) is just behind the Retrievers (10-3, 1-2 AE) who stand at sixth in the conference.

Wednesday’s game is doubly important because it could determine which team makes the America East Tournament at the end of the regular season. The top six teams in the conference will move on to the tournament. With BU and UMBC at sixth and seventh, respectively, in the conference, a loss here for either team could be fatal to their postseason hopes..

BU’s fall has been precipitous ‘-‘- hailed at the start of the season as the favorite to re-take the conference crown, the Terriers exited a challenging non-conference schedule with an impressive 6-2-2 record.

All seemed well in a 3-0 blowout of Stony Brook University on Oct. 10. Senior Samuel Appiah scored two goals, and senior goalkeeper Hrafn Davidsson secured his sixth shutout of the season. BU coach Neil Roberts said his team ‘ended the game in the first half.’ Clearly, confidence was high and the Terriers were looking forward to the rest of their conference schedule.

Things began falling apart in the second half of the Terriers’ home game against the University of New Hampshire. A corner kick from the Wildcats and a blown defensive play sealed the devastating 2-1 loss for the Terriers.

It has only gotten worse from there. The Terriers lost another two conference games and dropped from No. 15/16 in the country to not even receiving votes in either poll.

The root of the Terriers’ problems could be their defense. BU has allowed seven goals in its last three games. The team allowed the same number of goals in its first 11 games this season against presumably better teams from the Big East and Atlantic 10 conferences.

The only thing that the Terriers can rely on at this point is the play of junior Aaron O’Neal, who has scored twice in the last two games, adding to his season total of nine goals.

BU can also count on Davidsson in goal, so long as his defense backs him up. The senior was ranked as one of the best goalies in the nation before a 3-3 tie with Brown University on Sept. 30 ruined his save percentage. It has been tough going for the Iceland native every since.

The Retrievers have not fared much better in conference play. UMBC entered the conference schedule riding a nine game win streak in which they scored 27 goals and had five shutouts.

The good times ended abruptly with a 3-1 loss to the previously winless University of Vermont on Oct. 3. Since then, the Retrievers have won once in three tries. Their lone conference win was against Stony Brook, a 2-0 victory on Oct. 7.

At this point in the season, the America East Conference standings are nothing less than bewildering. Stony Brook had one win prior to entering conference play. Vermont had none. Yet, somehow, the two teams with the most overall wins in the conference, BU and UMBC, managed to both lose to Stony Brook.

Vermont and Stony Brook occupy the two spots above BU and UMBC. The Wildcats and Seawolves’ combined record is 4-16-7. The Terriers and Retrievers, on the other hand, is 17-8-2.

Whatever the reason for their conference failures this season, the Terriers do not have a lot of time to make up for their losses. BU has just three regular season games left, including Wednesday’s contest.