Warsofsky named Hockey East Player of the Week

Boston University men’s hockey sophomore David Warsofsky was honored with the Hockey East Player of the Week Award for his performance against the University of Massachusetts-Lowell this weekend. Warsofsky scored two goals in BU’s 5-4 Friday win and added an assist in Saturday’s loss, earning a +4 weekend rating.

It was Warsofsky’s first career two-game goal.

Warsofsky finished his freshman season with a +26 rating. Sophomore forward Nick Bonino led the nation with a +29, and sophomore defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk was second with +28. Just to provide a bit of context for Warsofsky’s total compared to another offense-minded defenseman, 2009 graduate Matt Gilroy sported a +22 rating as a senior .

During the 2007-08 season, Gilroy and senior forward Pete MacArthur tied for the team lead with a +17.

Overtime Success

Junior defenseman Colby Cohen’s familiar looking overtime game-winner against UML assured history wouldn’t repeat itself this season.

BU’s first overtime win last season came in the national championship game, after four missed opportunities. This year, Cohen was able to capitalize on the Terriers’ first chance.

In other statistical news, BU is 9-0-1 in its last ten league games when outshot, dating back to Jan. 26, 2008.

Power play

BU coach Jack Parker felt comfortable with his team’s penalty kill during Saturday’s 3-2 loss to UMass-Lowell, even though the River Hawk’s two finishes doubled the Terriers’ season allowance.

‘They got two power play goals but one of them the guy picks out of the air while he’s falling down,’ he said. ‘That’s a very good power play they have, I think it’s more mature than our power play right now, and we did a real good job over the weekend shutting them down somewhat.’

Up until Saturday’s game, opponents were just 1-of-23 against BU’s penalty kill.

Officially, the Terriers were 1-for-6 on their own man advantage, but sophomore forward Vinny Saponari’s second period rebound stuff crossed the line exactly one second after UML sophomore defenseman Ryan Blair’s holding penalty expired.

So for purposes of team evaluation, Parker thought it passable to consider the tally 2-for-6.

Mixing up the defense

Junior defensemen Kevin Shattenkirk said he has been pleased with the results of Parker’s mixing and matching on the blue line.

‘So far, it’s been an easy transition,’ Shattenkirk said. ‘Sean and I have been working well together.’

Shattenkirk and C. Cohen have been split up and paired with freshmen Sean Escobedo and Max Nicastro, respectively, to balance the corps and assure a solid foundation in back.

‘When I play with Colby we have a lot of thought of jumping in the rush, both of us,’ he said. ‘Sometimes that may take away from one or the other’s ability to be offensive.’