Men’s basketball to play home opener against GW

Like most Boston University sports fans, Patrick Chambers went to Agganis Arena Saturday night to cheer on the men’s hockey team.

On Tuesday, he hopes the Terrier faithful return to Agganis in support of a different BU squad ‘- his squad.

Four days after dropping their season opener at Iona College, Chambers and the men’s basketball team (0-1) will officially introduce themselves to BU fans in a 7 p.m. contest against Atlantic 10 Conference foe George Washington University (1-0).

Chambers has strongly encouraged student attendance at home games since succeeding Dennis Wolff last April. Tuesday represents the first opportunity for Terrier Nation to follow up on that request after months of anticipation.

‘I’m excited about it,’ Chambers said. ‘I’m excited to show the fans the excitement and determination of this team and how we’re going to play ‘- a totally different style, an upbeat style. I think the fans are going to really enjoy it, and quite frankly, I’m going to enjoy it. Being at home, hopefully we get a good atmosphere, pack the place and get our fans behind us.’

Filled arenas were commonplace during Chambers’ five years on the coaching staff of Villanova University, a perennial Big East Conference power that advanced to the Final Four last spring. Bringing a similar environment to Agganis and Case Gymnasium won’t happen overnight, but Chambers is optimistic his team will receive its share of fan backing this season.

‘It can make a huge difference,’ Chambers said. ‘It prevents the other team from gaining momentum and jacks us up a little bit. If we’re not hitting shots, the fans can keep us in the game and keep us focused. If we’re making shots, the fans get crazy and you feed off of it. To have a packed house, I think it creates a great environment for college basketball.

‘Especially these seniors, they deserve it. They’ve worked very hard the last few years.’

But BU’s senior class is winless in three career tries against George Washington, which has defeated the Terriers each of the past four seasons. GW spoiled BU’s season opener at Agganis twice in the past three Novembers, pulling out a 63-58 overtime thriller last year and a 70-57 triumph in 2006.

Picked to finish 13th in the 14-team A-10 Conference, the Colonials have posted a 25-7 November record in nine seasons under former BU assistant Karl Hobbs. Senior forward Damian Hollis, who averaged 13.4 points and 6.1 rebounds per game last year, leads a youthful squad that includes 10 freshmen and sophomores.’ ‘ ‘

GW’s defensive pressure resembles that of an Iona team that scored 28 points off 22 BU turnovers Friday.

‘They’ve got great athletes,’ Chambers said. ‘They play a lot like Iona. They’re going to press us, and they’re going to extend out in the half court. They’re going to run a lot of motion and continuity. They play hard, they’re tough and they’re physical. We’ve got to be prepared for everything.

‘It’s going to be another great match for us early in the season to see where we are. Iona was obviously a great test, and if we can take another step and get better against GW, I think we’ll be OK.’

News & notes: Freshman guard B.J. Bailey, who sat out Friday after sustaining a concussion in practice last week, is a gametime decision for Tuesday. Minus Bailey and senior forward Scott Brittain (concussion), Chambers used an eight-player rotation against Iona. … BU had a double-session practice at Agganis last month. ‘It was great,’ Chambers said. ‘We wanted the guys to feel comfortable, like, ‘This is our house, our home court,’ and to feel good about it.’ … Tuesday marks the first of six games the Terriers will play at Agganis in 2009-10.