Men’s basketball heads to Puerto Rico to prove itself against nation’s elite

The Boston University men’s basketball team is going on vacation.

Well, sort of.

When BU coach Patrick Chambers scheduled his squad to participate in this weekend’s O’Reilly Auto Parts Puerto Rico Tip-Off, he did so for two reasons. One, to test the Terriers’ mettle against some of nation’s premier teams, a field that includes No. 5/6 Villanova University, the No. 18/21 University of Dayton and No. 21/19 Georgia Tech.

But the rookie bench boss also wanted to reward BU’s eight-player senior class for its service over the past three seasons. In Chambers’ words, give them an experience ‘they’re never going to forget for the rest of their lives.’

Following an 0-2 start, the Terriers just hope they can look back on the trip to San Juan in a positive light.

BU will oppose Big 12 Conference member Kansas State University (2-0) Thursday at Colesio de Puerto Rico in a 7:30 p.m. contest, resume play Friday versus either Indiana University or the University of Mississippi, and conclude its three-game slate Sunday against an undetermined opponent.’ ‘ ‘

A pair of losses to begin his BU career hasn’t soured the spirits of Chambers, whose veteran team continues to evolve in its first season under the former Villanova assistant.

‘I’m really excited to get a chance to go down to Puerto Rico with these great prestigious programs,’ Chambers said after Tuesday’s 69-59 loss to George Washington University at Agganis Arena. ‘We wanted to do something for the seniors, and I think this trip is something special. Going to Puerto Rico is about the players, and that’s why we did it. That’s what it’s about. I am fired up.

‘It’s also a team bonding opportunity. Hopefully we come even closer. We’re a close-knit group now, but I want them to be a band of brothers and a true family. If we can get there, and that’s what we take out of this trip, then we should get better every day. I think we’re headed in the right direction. We just have to keep competing and keep getting better.” ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘

The Terriers have the unenviable task of trying to get better against a Wildcats team coming off two 30-point victories and three straight 20-win seasons. Kansas State returns four starters from last year’s 22-12 squad that reached the second round of the National Invitational Tournament, including senior guard and Puerto Rico native Denis Clemente (team-best 15 points per game in 2008-09).

One of BU’s star players, junior forward John Holland, came off the bench Tuesday after starting 29 of 30 games last season. Chambers said the decision to start senior forward Valdas Sirutis over Holland, who tallied game highs of 24 points and 11 rebounds against GW, reflected a desire to bring ‘some firepower off the bench.’ Terrier reserves were held scoreless in the team’s season-opening setback at Iona College.

Though he suggested the lineup switch isn’t necessarily permanent, Chambers has grown quite fond of the 6-foot-7 Sirutis. The Lithuanian is logging 21 minutes per game this season after averaging just under six per contest in 19 appearances a year ago.’

‘Valdas is an anchor,’ Chambers said. ‘He hasn’t played that much the last three years, but with the confidence he’s playing with, I want him on the floor. He deserves to be on the floor. Nobody’s worked harder than him. I love him being a part of this.’

Chambers would also love BU to crack the win column this weekend following what he views as two encouraging losses to begin the season.

‘I see progress, I see determination, and I see BU basketball starting to shape and form itself,’ Chambers said. ‘It’s not there yet. We have a way to go, and we’re getting better every day. If we continue to work on the little things and work on our habits, I think eventually you guys are going to see some terrific basketball. We’re going to get there.’

News & notes: Senior forward Scott Brittain (concussion) did not accompany the Terriers to Puerto Rico. Chambers said earlier this month that the co-captain could return for BU’s America East opener, a Jan. 2 game against Stony Brook University at Case Gymnasium. ‘hellip; Freshman guard B.J. Bailey, who also suffered a concussion during preseason, is with the team in San Juan. His availability for Thursday has not been determined.