STAFF EDIT: Pride done right

Nestled right at the end of Bay State Road, across the street from Boston University’s Hillel House and ivy-covered Castle gathered two groups of people with very different agendas Tuesday afternoon, with only Granby Street, a few metal gates and a host of BU police officers separating them. One group, representing the Westboro Baptist Church, was composed of a handful of members, each hoisting signs emblazoned with phrases such as ‘Thank God for AIDS’ and ‘God hates fags.’ Opposite them gathered a huge mass of BU students to peacefully decline WBC’s message, holding up signs of their own, one of which simply read, ‘Hello, how are you today?’ After 20 minutes or so, most of the latter group joined for a walk over to Marsh Plaza, where they celebrated their own cause rather than drawing attention to the other.

It’s a mark of incredible character on behalf of those who showed up to protest WBC ‘-‘- if you could call it protesting ‘-‘- that they would be able to channel the obvious frustration that WBC’s campaign can conjure into a relaxed, friendly and evenhanded reassurance that BU is no place for hate. Tuesday afternoon represented an example of BU at its finest and how it pays off to be a part of a diverse and dynamic community of forward, independent thinkers. What could have become a chaotic rally ended up stranding a few stagnant extremists on a sidewalk, while their targets relocated for a rally based on peace, pride and support. Even Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore showed up to support his students, tweeting a picture of the anti-hate group gathering on the steps of Marsh Chapel.

It isn’t easy to rally people to a cause in today’s wildly dissonant society. Even the WBC group had a hard time doing so, arriving at one of America’s largest and most prominent universities with only six or so members, one of which was just a child, trying to convince Boston that being different and being independent is a sin. But it wasn’t hard for BU to rally against them ‘- a huge turnout arrived within moments of the event’s start time, and joined together to sing and march together as if it was instinctual. That’s because at BU, regardless of print quota and dining options, swine flu or administrative decisions, everyone knows a good cause when they see one, and everyone knows when to take a detour from their walk to class to go support it. Touch’eacute;, BU, for walking softly and carrying sound mind.