Gryba signs with Ottawa

Boston University senior defenseman Eric Gryba signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Ottawa Senators on Monday and has been assigned to Binghamton of the American Hockey League, according to The Ottawa Citizen.

Gryba served as an assistant captain for the Terriers this season and finished the year with a career-high four goals and 10 points and a program record-tying 118 penalty minutes. The bruising blue-liner ended his college career with 22 points and a program record 354 penalty minutes.

The signing came the same day the Senators signed University of New Hampshire sniper Bobby Butler to a two-year deal. Butler, who led the country with 29 goals this season, is expected to play with Ottawa for the remainder of the season.

Bonino scores first NHL goal

Forward Nick Bonino, who last week decided to forgo his final year of eligibility at BU to sign with the Anaheim Ducks, netted his first NHL goal last night.

Bonino, playing in just his second NHL game, found a bouncing puck in the slot midway through the second period and slapped it past Dallas Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen to give the Ducks a 1-0 lead. It was a power-play goal assisted by Teemu Selanne, a man who knows a thing or two about scoring in the NHL. He ranks 18th all-time with 600 career goals.