Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER: The Church’s repentance

As a Catholic Boston resident and an active member of the Boston University Catholic Center, I believe that Pope Benedict XVI’s response to the recent abuse scandals in Ireland is an appropriate first step in the long process of healing for the Church and its people (“Boston Catholics decry pope’s handling of abuse scandal,” March 29, p. 3)

The pope’s response is not an attempt to appease or placate victims of abuse and their families. Rather, the pope’s lengthy letter expresses his deep sorrow and regret for the crimes committed. Although it does not sanction immediate action against the abusers, it enforces preventative measures for the future.

The pope acknowledged that “grave errors of judgment were made and failures of leadership occurred,” and noted, “All this has seriously undermined your credibility and effectiveness.” He demanded repentance among abusers for their violation of the priesthood and religious vocation.

The letter urged spiritual revival among the religious and laity of Ireland through fervent prayer and participation in the sacraments. The pope expressed his hope for renewal within the Church and his confidence in the success of “current safeguarding practices” to ensure “the safety of children in church environments” such as the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People created in 2002 by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. This document establishes definitive procedures and guidelines for dealing with and preventing sexual abuse by Catholic clergy.

Pope Benedict wrote to the youth of Ireland, “I look to you to be faithful disciples of our Lord and to bring your much-needed enthusiasm and idealism to the rebuilding and renewal of our beloved Church.” We must learn from these devastating abuses and move toward the future of the Church with hope, working to ensure that every person is treated with dignity and respect.

As Catholic college students, it is our responsibility to remain informed about these issues and support the Church. We need to take action to prevent further abuses, but division within the Church will only weaken these efforts. Times of suffering in the Church require unity, understanding and compassion from all members as the Church recovers and heals.

Christine Warner
COM 2012