Saponaris dismissed from team; Trivino suspended

Junior Victor Saponari and sophomore Vinny Saponari have been dismissed from the Boston University men’s hockey team, and sophomore Corey Trivino will be suspended for multiple games to begin the 2010-11 season, according to a press release put out by the team today.

“Over a period of time, there have been cumulative instances in which Victor and Vinny Saponari have displayed conduct unbecoming of a Boston University hockey player,” BU coach Jack Parker said in the release. “In a related issue, Trivino will be suspended for the early part of next season.”

Yesterday, The Daily Free Press reported that Victor Saponari had been dismissed from the team, while Vinny Saponari and Trivino would be suspended. Sources also indicated that junior goalie Adam Kraus may receive punishment as well. The press release did not indicate any such punishment for Kraus, nor that any further suspensions may be handed down.

In a story yesterday, The Free Press reported the players dismissed/suspended were involved in an alcohol-related incident less than 48 hours before a playoff game against the University of Maine.

In 82 career games at BU, Vinny Saponari tallied 47 points (20 goals, 27 assists), while his brother, Victor, dished out two assists in 14 career games.