Four More Years

Hundreds of supporters chanted “four more years” as Deval Patrick took the stage at the Park Plaza Hotel in Boston Tuesday night as the projected reelected governor of Massachusetts.

“Well that’s exactly what we worked for, isn’t it?” Patrick said in response to the crowd’s animated chants.

Although polls indicated that the Massachusetts gubernatorial race would be close, Patrick’s supporters expressed their optimism throughout the night.

“There’s no question he will win,” said Eleanore Mason of Brookline, before his victory was announced. “Those who really know what he’s done for the state understand this.”

With 96 percent of precincts voting, Patrick beat his closest opponent, Republican Charlie Baker, 49 percent to 42 percent.

Independent candidate Tim Cahill garnered 8 percent of the vote, while Green-Rainbow candidate Jill Stein rounded out the pack with 1 percent of the electorate.

Patrick began his victory speech by thanking all those who supported him and his running mate Tim Murray throughout their first term.

“We worked it hard and we stuck it with Massachusetts,” Patrick said. “Tonight the people of Massachusetts have stuck with us.”

Patrick thanked all those who voted in the election, pledging to represent the whole state.

“I am proud to be a Democrat, and I am proud to have won this race as a Democrat,” Patrick said. “But I am not the governor of the Democrats, I am the governor of the folks who voted for me and the folks that didn’t.”

“Tonight Massachusetts chose to look up and forward, not down and to the past,” Patrick said.

Patrick said that he would need the whole state’s support to make progress.

“We work to lift every corner, every community of this Commonwealth,” Patrick said.

“As always, I ask every member of this community to turn to each other and not on each other.”

Patrick concluded his speech by portraying the Commonwealth as a “model for a nation hungering for something positive to believe in.”

“None of this will be easy, but I’m not interested in what’s easy, I’m interested in what’s right,” Patrick said.

“Deval Patrick is one of the best governors we’ve had in 16 years,” said Ron Homer of Brookline. “His speech was just like all the speeches he’s made&-right on target.”

The hundreds of supporters gathered at the rally were enthusiastic and emotional as results began pouring in.

“It feels great for Patrick to have finally won after a lot of hard work,” said 28-year-old Candace Resner. “He’s the right guy for the job.”

The excitement was high as Patrick came on stage, victorious amid loud applause from his supporters.

Patrick reassured the Democrats that he would bring the reforms he campaigned on four years ago.

“I hope he actually does continue providing the change he promised and which he started with the health care and education reform,” said Catherine Droser, a Boston University sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences. “But he has a long way to go.”

The Native American community was a prominent minority at the rally, and, led by Chief George Thomas Pequot (“Lone Wolf”), they played traditional drums to celebrate Patrick’s victory.

“Governor Patrick supports a lot of issues concerning Native Americans and not just those dealing with casinos, but with hunting regulations and the preservation of rituals,” Pequot, 50, said. “He came out in support of us in his last term and was the first governor to invite the Native American community to his inaugural address in 2006. We’re very thankful for his support. ”

Many at the election party said the most important issue Patrick faces is bringing the state back to the same economic standards it held before the crash.

“Patrick needs to put more stress on control spending because it seems like a trend nationwide,” said Susie Stiles, a College of Arts and Sciences sophomore. “He’ll probably be pushed to reduce taxes as well.”

To maintain the interest of the Democrats throughout the next four years, some of Patrick’s supporters suggest the governor needs to pursue more courageous policies.

“He needs to be bolder with his decisions this term than he was last term now that he’s been re-elected,” said Kelli Jenkins, a 2009 Emerson College alumna. “Now that the Republicans have re-taken the House the Democrats need to be bolder with their choices to make an impact.”