Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

I write this in response to a single sentence in the opinion piece entitled “The Needle Effect.” The closing sentence states: “At some point, there has to be a vested concentration in giving less fortunate people the momentum to mobilize change in their own lives.” No, my comments do not target the painful awkwardness of this sentence. My response targets a symptom; a lurking, omnipresent cancer of American ideology. In one word – entitlement. Illegal immigrants should be entitled to drivers’ licenses; women should be entitled to free birth control; less fortunate people (or in said article’s instance, drug addicts), should be entitled to funded institutions to “mobilize change in their lives.” When did an individual who chose to put a deadly, addictive substance in his or her body, become less fortunate? Why should his or her self-inflicted plight become my burden?  Why should I, an individual who goes to the gym daily and eats well, pay for an obese, chain smoker’s health insurance? Why should I pay for your choices? When did the irresponsibility that plagues Americans obsessed with excess become my burden? We live in an apathetic, excuse-ridden society. No, Sir or Ma’am, I will not help your less fortunate. They can help themselves.

-John Broderick, College of Arts and Sciences 2012

1. Couldn’t agree more.

2. Ignorant comments, given our nation’s miserable history of disenfranchisement and institutionalized economic inequality.