Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

LCD Soundsystem launches farewell run

Very few bands leave when they are on top. Most will continue to release records far past their prime and eventually become a nostalgia act. LCD Soundsystem refuses to fall into this category. Bandleader James Murphy said the bands last record, 2010’s phenomenal This Is Happening, would be their final. This week in New York City, LCD Soundsystem is playing their last five shows before they ride out into the sunset. On March 28th at Terminal 5, the band played the first of these finales and Murphy and Co. put on a performance no one will forget. The three-hour marathon had the band playing their classics and their deep cuts, while keeping the crowd dancing throughout. Always a great live band, LCD Soundsystem brought the show to another level, making it one of the best shows I have been lucky enough to see.

The show started with the band performing “Dance Yrself Clean” with a male choir in the balcony. The choir came back on a number of other tracks, most notably “Sound of Silver.” It really did set a sense of occasion and was just the beginning of the special treats the band pulled out. The first hour set was typical LCD Soundsystem fare with classics like “Daft Punk Is Playing at My House,”  “Drunk Girls” and crowd favorite “All My Friends,” which turned into a massive sing along. The first set also featured the first of many rarities of that night with “Thrills” off of their debut – a song the band hadn’t played in five or six years. The entire set had the crowd in frenzy, jumping, dancing and singing their hearts out.

After a brief break the band came back for set two. This set was clearly aimed at hardcore fans as the band played selections from 45:33, an almost totally instrumental based EP. Even though much of the crowd seemed unfamiliar with the music, it did not stop them from dancing, although the energy was slightly down in comparison to the first set. The band used a horn section to propel the sound throughout the set. It was a nice specialty set that showcased the band’s versatility. Not only can they perform the dance-punk they are known for, they can also play a soulful dance instrumental while keeping the crowd interested.

Any lull in energy from the second set was immediately made up for when lights hit the giant disco ball during set three opener “Us v Them.” The highlight of the set was a lengthened and intensified rendition of “Yeah,” which whipped the crowd into a frenzy. After that freak out, the band went into a striking rendition of their sobering “Someone Great,” which once again had the crowd screaming along. The third set ended with the band first single “Losing My Edge” and the closer of the bands last album “Home,” a fitting juxtaposition.

After a short encore break James Murphy and the band came back, thanked the crowd sincerely with a smile and launched into an ode to his hometown, “New York, I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down.” It was a bittersweet moment to cap off an evening of ecstatic music. If this band is really done after this string of shows, they are certainly going out with a bang and certainly will be missed.