City, National, News, Politics

Donations down for Romney in home state

Former Governor of Massachusetts and candidate for the 2012 Republican Party presidential nomination Mitt Romney. PHOTO COURTESY/MITTROMNEY.COM

The Bay State’s donations to Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign have dwindled by as much as one third compared with donations from the 2008 elections, according to an article in The Boston Globe.

Massachusetts, Romney’s home state, made fewer contributions to his current campaign because of his change in political ideals, experts said in the article. He is running in 2012 on a platform of opposition to same-sex marriage and abortion.

From April until September, the first six months of Romney’s 2012 campaign, Massachusetts contributed $2.1 million in financial support, according to a tally of campaign records by The Boston Globe. In 2008, Massachusetts donated about $3 million to his campaign – six percent of his funds.

Rob Gray is a Republican consultant in Massachusetts who was a senior adviser to Romney in his 2002 gubernatorial campaign. He said in an interview with The Globe that four years after his 2008 presidential race, Romney is less connected to Massachusetts.

“You get the out-of-sight, out-of-mind factor,” he said in the article. “The last time around, he’d just been the governor, so your local fund-raising network tends to be a little more robust.’’

Romney, a native of Belmont, Mass., is running under a Republican campaign of economic solutions and job creation, using his experience in the private economic sector, according to his official campaign website.

“Mitt Romney believes in America,” Romney’s official campaign website said. “He believes that liberty, opportunity and free enterprise have led to prosperity and strength before and will do so again.”

In 2007, Romney held a national call day at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center after his term as governor ended. Behind California and Utah, Massachusetts residents made the most pledges during the fundraiser, according to the Globe.

For his 2012 campaign, a national call day was staged as a fundraiser in Las Vegas.

“It’s a much broader campaign,’’ said Ron Kaufman, a top Romney adviser, in an interview with The Globe. “Last time it was in many ways Massachusetts-centric.’’

He said that the current state of the economy is not supportive of large-scale donations.

“The recession has something to do with all the numbers everywhere,” Kaufman said.

1. How about you just link to the Globe article and call it a day, huh?

2. I have seen a great deal of useful issues on your internet site about personal computers. However, I’ve the viewpoint that netbooks are still less than powerful enough to be a option if you typically do jobs that require many power, for instance video modifying. But for world-wide-web surfing, statement processing, and a lot other typical computer work they are okay, provided you do not mind the small screen size. Many thanks for sharing your thinking.