Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

Sound Tribe Sector 9 Invades Fenway

Although Boston has recently joined in the rise of electronic music, the crowd at Boston’s House of Blues presentation of Sound Tribe Sector 9 [STS9] last Thursday was smaller than expected – but this didn’t prevent a totally spectacular night.

See, a smaller crowd allows for a more “cozy” experience, as you know everyone at the concert is a die-hard fan; you are free to totally let loose. By the end of Thursday night, the guy adjacent has asked me to dance and a nearby group of three girls had merged into a group of a dozen people. Totally let loose.

As the lights dimmed, the crowd roared and many starting to dance to the cheers of the audience. As the stage lights grew, STS9 took their places on stage, and, with the first note, the lights exploded on beat. STS9’s light show is one to be remembered as it includes everything from basic colors to all sorts of mixtures and patterns. During the show, the lights never faded or grew dull. The over dozen screens were equally breathtaking as psychedelic patterns rolled across the massive monitors, captivating the audience into a deeper and deeper trance.

STS9’s set up is very unique. Although the band is totally electronic, they still have a guitarist, bassist, drummer – even a bongo player. By using computers to trigger certain sounds, they are able to distort their instruments to sound like nearly anything. Blending together perfectly, their newly created sounds are addictive.

STS9’s uniqueness also draws a very interesting crowd. Among the mass of neon and glow sticks, several audience members dressed as fairies or bears. As expected, there were also many “hippies” with the typical dreads in their hair mixed with those who just never stopped dancing. Despite their differences, the entire audience was unified by the ebb and flow of the music; overall ecstasy was in the air. Everyone was friendly, never pushing or shoving. All anyone wanted to do was dance.

The band itself, as always, was right on point. Even fans not as familiar with STS9 found themselves rocking out. STS9’s style ranges from soft, trance-like songs to guitar heavy, go-totally-crazy, techno songs. The band seemed to have just as much fun as the audience. Each member was equally concentrated and was able to add his own flair. Even my friend, who has seen them over 12 times, expressed how masterful STSP was on this particular night. True artistry and creativity was totally apparent on stage through every minute of the concert.

But even more than enjoying the musicianship, being in a room packed with so much positive energy, especially with great people looking to have just as much fun as you do, is a truly euphoric experience. Be sure to find me there the next time STS9 comes to town.

1. Hey –

I’m a huge fan of STS9 and enjoyed reading your write up. I am a co-founder and contributor for http://www.mymusicisbetterthanyours.com.

I also am starting weekly EDM experiences at Liquor Store in Boston on Thursdays. http://www.veryaggressive.com for more.

Keep up the good stuff!

Jon