City, National, News, Politics

Super Tuesday puts Romney closer to Republican nod

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney celebrates his victory in Massachusetts on Tuesday. MICHAEL CUMMO/DFP STAFF

Amidst chanting of “We want Mitt,” former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney said he promises to restore America, after he won 72.1 percent of the vote in the Commonwealth’s Republican primary election.

Romney took the state’s primary election with 38 of the 41 delegates up for grabs in Massachusetts, while former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum, of Pennsylvania, took 12 percent of the vote.

“We initially started our campaign about nine months ago, not very far from here in a farmhouse in New Hampshire,” Romney said in his speech at the Westin Copley Place in Boston on Tuesday. “It was the start of an effort to restore the promise of America.”

Romney said he plans to fix the country in ways the Obama administration has failed to do, especially in terms of unemployment.

“To the millions of Americans who look around and can only see jobs they can’t get and bills they can’t pay, I have a message – you have not failed,” he said. “You have a president that has failed you.”

The crowd broke out in cheers of “We need Mitt!” in response.

Romney said he would cut the deficit and the size of the government.

“I have a plan to deliver more jobs, less debt and smaller government,” he said.  “President [Barack] Obama raised the national debt – I will cut that and balance the budget.”

Expectations were high in the Hub for Romney, who served as governor of Massachusetts from 2003 to 2007.

While governor, Romney helped pass his RomneyCare, or healthcare reform bill, which individually mandated healthcare to all citizens.  Since then, he has criticized the national healthcare reform passed under Obama, which also uses an individual mandate system.

“[Obama] passed Obamacare, I will repeal Obamacare,” he said.

Romney said his experience as a businessman and his success in eliminating the state deficit while governor of Massachusetts make him the most qualified candidate for president.

“As president, I will get our economy back on track and get our citizens back to work,” he said. “Unlike President Obama, I actually have the experience to deliver on that promise.”

Romney said he would open American lands for the development of energy and instate a 20-percent rate cut for every citizen.

Romney also won in Virginia, Idaho, Ohio and Vermont on Tuesday. Santorum won in Tennessee, Oklahoma and North Dakota, while former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich won in Georgia.

Former Massachusetts Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey, who served with Romney when he was in office, said Romney’s strongest quality was and still is his integrity.

“He has shown when he was in office that he is absolutely unbendable in terms of wanting to do the right thing for the people and being a public servant,” she said in an interview with The Daily Free Press.

Healey said since Romney was successful as a Republican governor in Massachusetts, which tends to vote liberally, he could potentially have an advantage in the state in the presidential election.

“He was able to reach across the aisle when it was critical to do so and make sure the people of Massachusetts got what they needed,” she said.

Healey said Romney is the best choice for young voters and college students in the 18- to 24-year-old demographic because he will create jobs.

“He is going to be the best chance the youngest generation of voters has to make sure they have a future,” she said.

The three remaining delegates, or “superdelegates,” are free to choose whom they will support come Aug. 27.

A potential candidate must win 1,144 delegates to win the Republican nomination for the White House.

Christine Corkery, who attended the election gathering, said she was pleased with the way Romney spoke to supporters.

“I thought his speech was great and I am very supportive,” she said.

Adam Heilemann, also at the election victory, said it is key for Romney to keep up the image he has to win in November if nominated.

If Romney wants to make it to the White House, Heilemann said, he must continue to “be himself.”

1. I plan to forward this to my neighbor we were just talking about this this morning!