Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER: On Iran

To Whom It May Concern:

It is essential for American and for global security at large to continue to sanction Iran’s nuclear regime. While renewed international talks to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear capability have furthered this objective, our national security is best bolstered by fully enforcing the sanctions authorized by Congress. Our government began this endeavor long before Iran was nearly this close to obtaining a deployable weapon, and today Iran is closer than ever before to that frightful point. While a policy strictly of diplomacy is ideal, sanctions must remain a constant. President Barack Obama must share the logical and strategic reasons with the international community and encourage other nations to re-think continuing trade relations with Iran to develop their own respective courses of action to further our vital cause. The key for these connections between nations is communication and continuity of the sanctions, which have already proven to be effective. Our leaders must clarify and express the urgency of this issue and share what has been identified as a serious threat to us and to our global allies.

Simply speaking out against Iran is not enough to attain the world’s attention and support. We must continue to put actions with our words. Our government, its leaders and advisors must continue sanctioning Iran to convey to the international community our authenticity and the seriousness of our convictions. Furthermore, our legislators have provided corporations that trade with Iran enough time to adapt and substitute their business partners in order to protect the domestic economy. Restricting trade has also put pressure on Iran to terminate their nuclear program and as a result has attracted other nations to observe America’s actions and join in these important sanctions.

America has expressed its urgency, has acted, is acting and must continue to pursue measures to prevent the worst-case scenario of a nuclear Iran. Britain, Canada and other allies have also imposed sanctions and, together, we must continue to rally global support. Through an international coalition, the world can collectively prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear program. Becoming aware of the grave reality of current events of the Middle East is only the beginning. The international community must pressure Iran financially and socially for the sake of international geopolitical security.

-David Danesh

CGS 2015

1. we need new president.(david)