Theft high among cell-phone bearing pedestrians, police say

Despite a string of recent cell phone robberies in Brookline, Boston University students said they will still use their phones when walking alone at night.

Since March 28, four women talking on their iPhones in the evening have had their phones stolen, according to the Brookline Police Department’s blog. The suspect’s description was similar in all accounts.

Lt. Phil Harrington of the BPD said these instances are new and the police are attributing them to the fact that smartphones are more expensive than other models of phones.

“We’re just asking people to be aware of their surroundings,” he said. “Try not to be walking down the street and just chatting up on the phone without paying attention to what’s going on around you.”

Police reported that on Thursday at 11:46 p.m. a man pushed a victim talking on her phone while she was walking on Longwood Avenue in Brookline and took her phone, according to the blog.

A similar incident occurred on April 21 on Browne Street in Brookline at 9:54 p.m., when a suspect pushed a woman walking down the street and took her phone, according to the BPD blog.

“It’s kind of frightening that this person is being so violent toward people just to steal a phone,” Harrington said.

This type of robbery hinges more on the fact that the phone is in plain view, whether it is in use or in the person’s hand, Harrington said.

“I would say secure all your valuables, put as many as you can inside your pockets,” he said. “Don’t be just . . . displaying your valuables, don’t be talking with the phone in your hand. Put it inside your pocket.”

Similar incidents have occurred at BU, although not in a while, said BU Police Department Captain Robert Molloy.

“I will say that in this last semester and even in the fall semester, we haven’t had many of those cell phone robberies like that,” he said.

But in the past, there have been two incidents on Bay State Road and one on Commonwealth Avenue in which students talking or texting while walking had their phones stolen, Molloy said.

“Obviously our recommendation is always be aware of your surroundings – don’t be distracted when you’re walking alone,” he said.

Those who want to use their cell phones should do so in an inconspicuous manner, especially when walking alone, Molloy said.

Despite these warnings, BU students said the news would not make them stop using their phones when they are walking alone late at night.

School of Management junior Lana Sharuk said it is less frightening to walk alone at night if she is on the phone with someone.

“I personally would rather have my phone stolen than something else worse happen to me,” Sharuk said. “When I’m talking to my friends on the phone as I’m walking, at least they know I’m outside – so if I don’t come back by a certain time, they know something’s wrong.”

Sharuk said the incidents have made her more conscious of people when she is walking, but they have not made her stop talking on the phone while walking by herself.

But Molloy said there are other ways to reduce the risk of becoming a victim, such as taking a cab or public transportation on the way home.

College of Communication freshman Megan Song said it is surprising phone theft occurs so often.

“But I’ve heard cases where iPhones have been stolen, and just by displaying the phone, people try to steal it,” she said. “So I guess it’s like a trend that people are trying to steal phones, smartphones particularly.”