Women’s soccer thrives in Terrier Tailgate atmosphere

Following the Boston University women’s soccer team’s 2-0 victory over Monmouth University on Friday, the Terriers did not immediately go into their normal routine of circling up and stretching. Instead, the team ran over to the Nickerson Field stands and lined up, bowing while yelling, “Thank you band.”

Sophomore forward Ana Cuffia scored the game-winning goal in Friday night’s 2-0 win over Monmouth University. AMANDA SWINHART/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

BU’s players wanted to give credit to the BU Pep Band, a group of talented young musicians who played a major role in the sixth annual Terrier Tailgate. The Terrier Tailgate is an event set up by the athletic department that uses a combination of free giveaways, musical and dance performances, as well as the actual athletic competition to help welcome students to a new year of BU sports.

The event drew more than 700 fans to Nickerson field, a crowd that gave the Terriers extra energy according to BU coach Nancy Feldman.

“Who doesn’t want to play not only in front of their friends and family, but also the student body and the band — it adds another level of excitement,” Feldman said. “It just feels like an environment — a soccer-crazy environment. It certainly is an added motivation.

“Unfortunately, we don’t get thousands of fans every game. We appreciate the people that come out and support us all the time, but when there is a bigger crowd than normal it gives you a little bit of extra adrenaline push for sure.”

The extra adrenaline paid off quickly for the Terriers, who got on the board very early in the game. In the seventh minute, junior midfielder Megan McGoldrick dribbled the ball to the right of the 18-yard box and delivered a low cross toward the goal. The ball slipped past Monmouth goalkeeper Ashley Lewis and onto the foot of sophomore forward Ana Cuffia, who netted her first goal of the season and gave BU the early 1-0 lead.

Cuffia, who experienced her first career Terrier Tailgate, thrived under the brighter spotlight, scoring the goal and creating many other chances throughout the game with her speed.

“It was good. It was really exciting,” Cuffia said of the event. “We finally got a big crowd, bigger than usual at least, but it keeps us going. We really like the band and it just motivates us even more.”

Junior midfielder Emma Clark added an insurance goal in the second half with a penalty kick drawn by senior midfielder Brea Hewitt, and the Terrier faithful went back to their dorms happy with a win on a night that Feldman hopes will increase interest in her team.

“I think our marketing department does a tremendous job of coming up with some really neat campaigns and to find ways to get students to be more connected to the athletic program, and I think we have a good product,” Feldman said. “It is a fun environment on a sunny night like this. You can sit with your friends — why not socialize here versus socialize in a dorm room. It’s outside and it’s beautiful out and you can also support BU athletics.”

It would appear that the women’s soccer team would enjoy having one of these events every year, as it has had a lot of success at Terrier Tailgates. Of the six Terrier Tailgates, three have featured the women’s soccer team, and three have featured the men’s soccer team. The Terriers have won all three times in which the women’s team has participated.

According to Cuffia, the added attention at the Terrier Tailgates does not distract the team, but rather helps give the team an extra incentive to win.

“It’s not added pressure,” Cuffia said. “I think it’s more excitement. We like it a lot when the fans come.”