Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

Big Sean’s Detroit: A mixtape review

This year has been a good one for hip-hop fans. With rising “freshmen” such as Kendrick Lamar and Meek Mill and returning veterans such as Pusha T (from Clipse) and 2 Chainz (Tity Boi from Playaz Circle), the genre has certainly been booming this past year.

And no one has benefitted more than Big Sean in this regard. Coming off a string of releases with his label mates such as the number-one hit “Mercy,” Justin Bieber’s “As Long As You Love Me,” Lil’ Wayne’s “My Homies Still” and Chief Keef’s “I Don’t Like,” Sean is in top form for his next LP. But why make his fans wait until then?

Amidst all of the hype surrounding his label’s upcoming collaboration album Cruel Summer, the G.O.O.D. Music artist decided to release a mixtape Wednesday to quench the thirsts of hip hop fans.

Detroit the latest release from the Detroit native, shows Sean coming together with a string of other artists and producers such as Wale, Tyga, Mike Posner, Royce da 5’9”, J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar.

The result is an album-quality free release, and one that should not be missed by both casual fans and hip-hop “Stans.”

Detroit boasts strong lyrics and delivery with tracks such as “RWT,” the catchy track about the use of marijuana that surprisingly lacks Snoop Dogg, Wiz Khalifa or Chiddy Bang (Disclaimer: I do NOT endorse the use of illegal drugs, but this track is catchy).

Produced by Southside and KeY Wane, the beat sounds like something Rick Ross and Meek Mill would rap on, yet Sean handles the track well and truly makes it his own.

In “24k of Gold” he teams up with Roc Nation’s J. Cole for a soulful tale of rags to riches that leaves one anticipating much more for both. “Wishing [that] I could wrap my whole life up in 24 karats of gold,” he sings, discussing themes of decadence and his desire to share his newfound wealth with his friends from back home.

The mixtape also has some guest appearances in the form of stories from hip-hop stars Common, Young Jeezy and Snoop Dogg. These three spots serve as interludes throughout the mixtape, as the artists discuss their connection to the city of Detroit and what it means to each of them.

Nostalgia is a recurring theme throughout Detroit.

While collaborations such as “Life Should Go On,” “Sellin’ Dreams” and “100” show his versatility and willingness to work with different artists and production styles, Sean truly shines on his solo songs.

Tracks such as “FFOE”, “Higher”, “Once Bitten, Twice Shy” and “How It Feel” show listeners that he deserves the hype he has been getting this past year. If you have not been listening to hip-hop, Detroit is a good place to start.

Standout tracks:

“RWT”

“24k of Gold” (Featuring J. Cole)

“Woke Up” (Featuring Say It Ain’t Tone, Early Mac & Mike Posner)

“FFOE”