DTD brings new energy to Greek life

Boston University’s Delta Tau Delta fraternity, a colony that expects to become an established chapter by 2013, plans to distinguish themselves as a fraternity of gentlemen who are dedicated to maintaining a good reputation, founding members said.

Members of the Boston University Delta Tau Delta fraternity spray the “frat rock” on the BU beach. PHOTO BY MACK FREEMAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

“I know in talking to nationals, one thing we are really stressing that we are going to do things a little differently,” said Jeff Malat, a School of Management junior. “We are going to do stuff that separates ourselves from other fraternities on campus.”

The goal is not to make DTD seem superior to other fraternities and sororities, but to bring positive change to the campus, Malat, DTD recruitment chairman, said.

“We are dedicated to making a good name for ourselves,” said DTD President Mack Freedman. “We want to make sure that as we move forward that we don’t forget that we are here for the community.”

Freedman, a SMG junior, said he aims to get the student body to notice the DTD name and get a good impression.

“As we go forward, we are getting the quality guys in our fraternity, whether a great athlete or a great person, but more importantly the kind of person with the right mindset,” Freedman said. “I want people to walk away and tell more people about DTD — we all want to leave a positive, lasting impression.”

DTD is looking to attract gentlement on campus, said Chris Bocchicchio, a chapter leadership consultant at the national fraternity.

“My idea is that a DTD man is a recognized leader on campus, academically excelling — above the average GPA, able to donate time and motivation and an absolute gentle man at all times,” Bocchicchio said. “He is able to engage in intelligent conversations and able to hang out and have down time as well.”

The group has grown to 80 members and plans to hold an official recruitment in the spring of 2013 when it becomes established as a chapter, Malat said.

“When it comes down to it, we are a social fraternity, but we are focused on philanthropy,” he said. “We have been involved with other fraternities and sororities on campus helping with their community service.”

Peter Johnson, director of academic affairs for DTD, said the members are all comfortable around each other even after such a short time together. All of the members are eager to make a dynamic change here at BU, he said.

“It’s hard to describe how quickly we established a strong camaraderie because it’s been a month or so,” Johnson, a SMG sophomore, said. “It is a very exciting time to be a part of this group and I can’t wait to see what we do.”

DTD has not held or sponsored an official philanthropic activity yet, but the plans are in the making, Freedman said.

“We’ve seen that with all the other fraternities and sororities — sponsor more athletic-based — events I want other people to tell other people about DTD,” Freeman said. “If we can get that good reputation, the social life will say that there are awesome guys in our fraternity.”