Saturday, July 26, 2014
Home » News » Police investigate fatal bike incident in Allston

Police investigate fatal bike incident in Allston

Authorities are investigating the facts surrounding the death of a 21-year-old bicyclist who was struck by a vehicle in Allston Monday night, officials said.

“Everybody is still out, and the investigation is still ongoing,” said Neva Coakley, a Boston Police Department spokeswoman.

The accident occurred at 6:36 p.m. on the corner of Brighton Avenue and Harvard Avenue, Coakley said.

News outlets report that the bicyclist was a Boston University student, although BU officials did not confirm this information.

MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said the MBTA is looking into whether a Route 57 bus is involved in the incident and that a bus driver has been removed from service during the investigation. He would not confirm whether an MBTA bus struck the victim.

“A Route 57 bus operator has been taken out of service while police investigators work to establish facts in this matter,” Pesaturo said in an email. “He is 58, and he has been with the T for six years.”

Pesaturo said the BPD and the District Attorney’s office have taken over the investigation, with Transit Police assisting.

Police officers from District 4 in Brighton responded to the accident and upon arrival they observed a male victim that was seriously injured.

The victim of the accident was transported to Beth Israel Hospital and was pronounced dead upon arrival.