Women’s soccer falls to BC in tight contest

In a battle of cross-town rivals, the Boston University women’s soccer team faced Boston College in a matinee affair Sunday. Despite taking the first game of the year against the University of Dayton, the Terriers were unsuccessful this time around, falling to BC in a tight 1-0 contest.

Things did not go well for BU (1-1) from the outset as it allowed an early chance just two and a half minutes into the game. With the help of forward Stephanie McCaffrey and midfielder Lauren Bernard, defender McKenzie Meehan put one in the back of the net, giving the Eagles (1-1) a 1-0 advantage in the third minute.

BC kept the attack going and got a corner in the fifth minute from Bernard and a shot from Meehan in the sixth, but neither chance came to fruition.

While the Eagles had ample opportunities to score and pad their lead, the Terrier offense struggled in the first half, and got their first shot off in the 22nd minute when Emma Clark headed a shot high of Eagle goalkeeper Jessica Mickelson.

In the 35th and 36th minutes BC had chances from Meehan and freshman Hayley Dowd, but Meehan’s shot was stopped by the Terrier defense before it could reach senior goalie Andrea Green and Dowd’s shot went high.

Freshman forward Erica Kosienski put one on net — her first collegiate shot on goal — but it was saved by Mickelson. It proved to be the only Terrier shot on goal in the first half. Neither team could push across another tally in the first half.

The Terriers were on the comeback trail in the second half and nearly knotted up the score. Senior midfielder Kylie Strom took two shots in the opening minutes of the half, the first going wide and the latter hitting off the goal post on a free kick attempt. Junior forward Taylor Krebs followed with a corner kick but nothing came to avail.

In the 65th minute BC looked to extend its lead when McCaffrey got off a shot but Green was up for the challenge and kept the Eagles at bay.

McCaffrey had two more chances towards the end of the second half, hitting the post in the 83rd minute and getting stopped by Green again, this time in the 86th minute.

After the two chances BU had to open up the second period, they did not have a chance until the waning minutes of the game. In the 88th minute Krebs got a shot off, hoping to send the game to overtime, but missed high over the goal.

The Eagles’ lone goal in the opening minutes proved to be enough, as they edged the Terriers 1-0. The Terriers return to Nickerson Field Friday to take on the University of South Carolina.