NCAA, Sports

Patriot League overview: Bucknell University

Nickname: Bison

Colors: Orange and blue

With a strong Class of 2013, last season’s men’s basketball team ran the table in the Patriot League, finishing with both the regular season and postseason title, reaching the NCAA Tournament. While a senior class that has numerous players going pro in both the NBA and elsewhere has since graduated, the rest of the squad looks to repeat what they did last year. Senior guard Cameron Ayers returns for his final year, looking to duplicate his 2012-13 success. He was second on the team with his 12.2 points per game and a .467 field goal percentage.

The Bison softball team finished near the middle of the pack with a 21-30 overall record, but it was solid in Patriot League play with an 11-9 mark. They have quality players set to return including catcher and outfielder Kristen Zahn. Last year Zahn led the Bison with a solid .330 batting average. She also compiled a .350 on-base percentage and a .474 slugging percentage. In her 97 at-bats, Zahn only went down swinging 13 times, so she has a chance to reach base almost every time she gets up. Fellow juniors Cyndee Sanders and Erin Cox return to help form a potent Bison lineup. Sanders was second on the team with a .324 batting average and was first on the team with a .376 OBP. In her 10 stolen base attempts she was only caught down once, the highest percentage on the team for those with at least five steal attempts. Cox is the power threat in the Bison lineup — in 2013 she belted a team-leading four homers and also drove in 20 runs, also a team best.

Men’s lacrosse looks to improve upon a season where it finished second behind Lehigh University, losing in the Patriot League Championship Game. To help the Bison cause, midfielder and playmaker David Dickson returns to the field for his junior campaign. He led Bucknell with 56 points which included a team-best 48 assists. Todd Heritage’s attacking skills go with the great passing of Dickson. In 2012, Heritage led the Bison with 35 goals. In 2013, he nearly repeated his previous campaign, notching 34 goals, good for second best on the squad. Faceoff midfielder Gavin Sullivan comes back to the team as the top faceoff takers. Known for his ability to win the ball, Sullivan won 32 of 75 in the circle. Primary faceoff midfielder Ryan Gutowski graduated after last season, so Sullivan will likely get the majority of the chances.