NCAA, Sports

Patriot League overview: United States Naval Academy (Navy)

Nickname: Midshipmen

Colors: Navy blue and gold

Located in Annapolis, Md., the U.S. Naval Academy has 26 varsity teams and has collected 14 NCAA Championships.

One of the most successful programs at Navy has been its lacrosse programs, which  have amassed 30 combined NCAA Tournament appearances. While the Navy women’s lacrosse team may not have as many NCAA tournament appearances as the men’s team, the Midshipmen have collected all of their tournament appearances in the last four years from 2010-13.

Last season, Navy had an incredible run with a 19-2 record, a perfect 6-0 conference record and the Patriot League Championship, its second-straight title. The biggest key to Navy’s success last season was the Midshipmen’s potent offense, which finished first last year with 13.33 goals per game and also dominated on draw controls with 13.43 controls per game. Navy’s defense was almost as impressive last year, as they led the Patriot League in save percentage at .439.

With the 2013 Patriot League Midfield Player of the Year Ana White returning for her senior year and 2013 Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year Annie Foky returning as goalkeeper for her junior year, the Midshipmen should be a major threat for all other Patriot League teams.

Another team that enjoyed success last season was the Navy women’s basketball team, which has made it to the NCAA Tournament and has won the Patriot League championship for three straight years from 2010-13.

Last season, the Midshipmen went 21-12, including a 11-3 conference record, before being bounced out of the first round of the NCAA Tournament after losing to the University of Kentucky by a score of 61-41. While Navy finished last year near the bottom of the Patriot League in both offensive (12.1) and defensive (25.1) rebounds per game, the Midshipmen made up for it by finishing second in the conference in scoring with 58.0 points per game. With leading scorer Jade Geif (13.0 points per game) returning for her junior year, the Midshipmen should be in position to win their fourth-straight Patriot League Championship this upcoming year.

1. Pingback: Patriot League overview: United States Naval Academy (Navy) ← Annapolis MD Newspaper

2. There’s no such thing as a Midshipwoman. Midshipman is a rank in the military. Just as an E-3 in the military is a Seaman; You don’t call a female E-3 a Seawoman.