DEPIES: Distracted Walking

There is no reason why walking should be as difficult as it is.

It’s one of the first things we all learn how to do in life. After our first steps, it’s not considered a particularly remarkable skill, barring any extenuating circumstances. I’m the first to admit that running is a terrible, painful activity and I’m only nearly proficient at skipping, but walking is something I feel I should be able to complete with relative ease.

However, somewhere over the course of history, walking became significantly more difficult. For this, I blame smartphones.

Yes, walking on crowded sidewalks has had and will continue to have its problems regardless of technology. Large groups of people still clog up walking space, the unexpected appearance of a friend on the street causes intolerable halts in foot traffic and the one person walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk always creates unwarranted disorganization.

However, even taking into account the myriad issues associated with walking in an urban setting, I contend that smartphones have made this situation exponentially worse. Notice that I’m not simply calling out (ha) cell phones; I have enough faith in humanity to believe that most of us can speak to someone on the phone and also walk in a straight line. However, I don’t believe that people have advanced to the point where they are capable of surfing the Internet, posting a status on Facebook, texting a friend and crossing the street simultaneously.

I’ve had far too much experience with those walking toward me so deeply entrenched in their electronics that the only way to avoid them is to leap out of their path of doom. God forbid anyone now thinks to take their eyes off of their route for a moment to, say, admire the remnants of autumn or an attractive member of the opposite (or same) sex — all of the people who pay no attention to their surroundings have taken the joy out of these moments for everyone. Now, the rest of us must remain constantly on guard against those who cannot put their phones down for their two-block journey to the dining hall. It’s pure chaos.

Laws banning texting and driving make perfect sense, but they don’t go far enough. I suggest we also ban texting and walking. It seems to be the only viable solution to a very real, very frustrating struggle, and I don’t believe our lawmakers are doing enough to solve it. Sure, there’s some trouble over the Affordable Care Act, but I think this problem is something exceedingly more relevant and pressing to the needs of the American public.

So, President Obama, if you happen to be reading my column, I’d like to propose that you put the healthcare debacle on hold and introduce a new ban on distracted walking. It’s the only feasible solution to this problem and I’d venture to guess it’s an initiative even Congress would heartily support. You’re welcome in advance for the suggestion.

Jessica Depies is a freshman in the College of Communication studying journalism. She can be reached at jdepies@bu.edu.

1. Equally Concerned BU Student

I agree that smartphones have indeed contributed to dangerous distracted walking. They have also completely changed the way we socialize and relate with society (but that’s another point).

However, a ban on using smartphones will be just as ineffective as the enforcement of “J Walking” laws.

Laws don’t necessarily change people’s actions, as evident by the continuing war on drugs. That’s because laws aren’t always in line with people’s morality.

Once we have enough smartphone-related accidents, then perhaps people’s will start gaining more awareness on the dangers they pose. It’s sad, but in reality it takes tragedy to instill awareness in people, not laws.