Cross Country, Ice Hockey, Sports, Wrestling

Roundup: Cross country finishes season at NCAA Northeast Regional

The Boston University cross country team concluded its season at the NCAA Northeast Regional Friday.

Junior Rosa Moriello finished in 25th place, the top finish for a Terrier on the day, with a time of 20:59.9 in the six-kilometer course. The race was a solid conclusion to Moriello’s season, in which she won her first three races, including the Patriot League Championship.

Sophomore Michelle Sumner placed 66th with a time of 21:45.0 while her classmate Shelby Stableford finished 68th, clocking in at 21:48.5. Junior Ashli Tagoai placed 107th overall — 54 spots ahead of her finish last season — with a time of 22:25.3.

Senior Nikki Long finished in 126th place, recording a time of 22:36.4 to round out the scoring for the Terriers. The women totaled 390 points to finish 14th out of 37 teams.

Sophomore Rachel Lotterman placed 132nd with a time of 22:41.1, while freshman Felicia Sciortino finished 161st overall with a time of23:01.3 to conclude her rookie campaign.

On the men’s side, senior Rich Peters placed 41st out of 250 runners with a time of 31:16.5 on the 10-kilometer course to become the top BU finisher for the third straight year. Sophomore Kevin Thomas also finished inside the top 50, placing 49th overall with a time of 31:23.7 in his first year running at the event.

Junior Aaron Somoroff placed 119th overall with a time of 32:28.3, and his classmate Ben Ravetz was right behind him, finishing in 120th place with a time of 32:30.0. Sophomore Alec Olson placed 134th (32:42.4), a 94-place increase from last season. Olson was the final scorer for the men, who finished in 17th place as a team with 455 total points.

Senior Michael Caputo concluded his BU career with a 136th-place finish, clocking in at 32:44.8. Sophomore Paul Gennaro rounded out the Terrier contingent by placing 176th with a time of 33:28.3.

Wrestling falls short against Rutgers

Competing in its first dual meet of the season, the Boston University wrestling team narrowly lost to Rutgers University, falling 16-15 Sundayin New Brunswick, N.J. With the defeat, the Terriers fall to 0-1 in on the season.

The Scarlet Knights (2-0) started out the meet on a 13-3 run, winning bouts at the 133, 184, 197 and heavyweight classes. Senior Bubba McGinley then put the visiting Terriers on the board at 125-pound class, overcoming Scott DelVecchio by a score of 8-5. The win was McGinley’s fourth of the season, bringing his 2013-14 overall record to 4-2.

Midway through the match, junior Peter Ishiguro, in the 141-pound class, ignited the Terrier comeback by defeating Corey Stasenko 4-3. The two were evenly matched for most of the bout, but Ishiguro’s takedown of Stasenko in the final seconds gave him the final edge.

Senior Nick Tourville (149), senior Nestor Taffur (157) and junior Mitchell Wrightman (165) all won their matches 7-4, 6-5 and 3-1, respectively. The three straight wins helped give the Terriers a slight lead going into the final bout.

Taffur came into his bout riding high, having won his weight class at the Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat Open in Bighamton, N.Y. the week before.

In the last bout of the day at 174, Phil Bakuckas barought down sophomore Colin Saunders, 7-0.

Because each team won five bouts in the meet, Hayden Hrymack’s 12-3 major decision over Terrier freshman Aaron Conrad in the 184-pound class became the deciding factor in the contest.

The Terriers will be back in action Sunday when they compete at the Keystone Classic in Philadelphia.

Women’s hockey falls one spot in rankings 

The Boston University women’s hockey team dropped from No. 8 to No. 9 in the latest USCHO.com Division I poll released Monday.

The drop in ranking can be attributed to the Terriers’ (10-2-1) weekend in Vail, Colo. While the team defeated St. Cloud State University 2-0Friday, Saturday saw the Terriers fall to No. 2 University of Wisconsin by a 5-0 margin.

The loss to the Badgers snapped BU’s eight-game winning streak. In the loss, senior captain Louise Warren took six shots on goal, and senior goaltender Kerrin Sperry made 10 saves before getting pulled in favor of freshman goalie Victoria Hanson.

BU will look to bounce back Friday when they take on Harvard University in Cambridge.

Jackie is a sports reporter for The Daily Free Press and has previously served as Managing Editor and Associate Sports Editor of the FreeP. At this moment, she's probably watching Shark Tank and thinking of ways to work, "and for that reason, I'm out," into casual conversations. Please send all inquiries in the form of a box combo from Cane's with no coleslaw and extra fries or follow her on Twitter at @jackie_bam