Women’s soccer looks to get back on track against the Crimson

Sophomore forward Erica Kosienski scored her first goal of the season Saturday against Lehigh. PHOTO BY ANN SINGER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University women’s soccer team will conclude its three-game road trip Wednesday when it faces non-conference opponent Harvard University in Cambridge.

The Crimson (6-2-2) have fared well in non-conference play with a record of 5-2-1 and are led by goalkeepers Lizzie Durack and Cheta Emba, who combined for three saves in their last contest against Yale University Saturday. Durack played the first 84 minutes and did not allow a goal, while Emba came on in relief and recorded two saves in 27 minutes of play.

Emba has only allowed three goals on the season with an .864 save percentage. The Crimson have not allowed a goal in five straight games.

Harvard is paced on offense by forward Margaret Purce, who leads the team with four goals and nine points. Support for Purce is provided by two upperclassmen: senior Meg Casscells-Hamby and junior Emily Mosbacher, both of whom have six points. Averaging 1.5 goals per game, the Harvard attack will be a major point of emphasis this week for BU coach Nancy Feldman and her backline.

The Terriers (6-3-3, 2-0-2 Patriot League) have had success in goal as senior goalkeeper Alyssa Parisi has allowed one goal with five saves in her past two games against the College of the Holy Cross and Lehigh University.

Parisi started both games, posting a shutout on Oct. 1 against the Crusaders (9-2-2, 1-2-1 Patriot League) and coming up with a huge save to keep the game tied in the second half against the Mountain Hawks (4-2-3, 2-0-2 Patriot League) on Saturday.

Despite the great goalkeeping, the Terriers will be looking to score more often in the second halves of games and take advantage of their opportunities, as they played to a 1-1 draw against the Mountain Hawks.

In the match, the Terriers got off eight shots in the second half, including three by junior forward and leading goal-scorer Jenna Fisher. Sophomore forward and 2013 Patriot League Rookie of the Year Erica Kosienski made the most of the Terriers’ biggest opportunity when she put the ball in the back of the net in the 31st minute of play for her first goal of the season.

Kosienski — the team’s leading goal scorer from the 2013 campaign — will once again try to heat up against the Crimson Wednesday.

BU coach Nancy Feldman was not available for comment for this article. 

Doug covers women's soccer and other sports for the Daily Free Press. When he's not doing schoolwork, writing, or being a social butterfly on campus, he enjoys playing the piano, or hitting the course for a round of golf.