The Blue Line: An Ode to the 76ers

The Philadelphia 76ers may lose 76 games this season.

They’ve been close before, but this year, I like their chances. They currently sit at 0-10, and have only come close to victory three times.

The 2009-10 New Jersey Nets broke the NBA record for consecutive losses to start a season when they started their campaign 0-18. That same Nets team became the sixth team in league history to win just two of its first 30 games, and they tied the record for the worst 50-game start (4-46) to a season in sports history – they tied the 1992-93 Dallas Mavericks and, of course, the 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers.

Last year, the Sixers began a tanking campaign unlike any before, in an attempt to land a top prospect in the most talented NBA draft since the 2003 Draft, which hosted names like LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. The efforts – or lack of effort – of the Sixers did not work out in their favor, as they landed the third overall pick.

With that pick, Philly took Joel Embiid, an incredibly talented but injury-prone 7-footer out of the University of Kansas. He was unable to attend the event held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, so he watched from a live broadcast.

Tape delays made his reaction to being drafted by Philadelphia seem unenthusiastic and disappointed. Honestly, if I were Embiid, I think I would have been disappointed.

The 76ers have made losing a destructive norm. The organization has harmed itself and will continue to do so over the next few years. Additionally, their efforts will almost definitely hinder the development of potential stars like Embiid, Nerlens Noel and last season’s Rookie of the Year, Michael Carter-Williams.

Even before last season’s epic tanking, the team struggled to keep fans in the seats. One particular promotion, with the help of McDonald’s, provided free Big Macs to all those in attendance if the pitiful Sixers offense could miraculously muster 100 points.

Dating back to last season, the Sixers are a pathetic 4-41 in their last 45 games played. Their upcoming schedule features matchups against the Portland Trail Blazers (8-3), the Dallas Mavericks (8-3), the reigning NBA Champion San Antonio Spurs and the Kevin Durant-less Oklahoma City Thunder. Needless to say, the Sixers are going to have to earn their first win.

The Sixers’ Nov. 13 game against the Mavericks marked the most pathetic excuse for a basketball game I have ever seen. The Mavericks, 123-70, eviscerated the Sixers, marking the fifth loss by 50 or more points in franchise history. No other team has lost more than three games by such a margin.

According to John Hollinger’s (ESPN.com) NBA offensive efficiency statistics, the Mavs have the best offense in the league. While that may be true, the Sixers scored just 10 points in the first quarter and had just 29 at halftime. The Mavericks scored more points in the first half (73) than the Sixers did all game (70). At one point early in the second quarter, Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki had 13 points; Philadelphia had 12.

They nearly pulled out a miracle of a win against the Houston Rockets (now 9-2), but were defeated at the buzzer by guard James Harden, giving his team the 88-87 victory. So, as a team, they have no talent or luck, a very important pair for the success of any sports team at any level.

This current 76ers team is, without a doubt, the worst team in the NBA. Though it has not yet reached the record of “worst NBA season ever,” it has 71 games left to compete for that unwanted title. Believe me – that’s the only title the Sixers have a chance of earning in the near future, and they’re competing with the 1973 76ers (9-73).

Historically, the Sixers are a relatively good NBA franchise. They’ve hosted stars such as Julius Erving, Allen Iverson and Wilt Chamberlain, have nine conference championships and three NBA Championships. Despite a dreadful run from 1991 until now, Philly still owns a total regular season record above .500.

The Sixers will not contend at any point in the foreseeable future, though. The days of competitive Sixers basketball seem long gone. The team motto for the past few seasons has been “Together we Build.” I’m not quite sure exactly what they’re trying to build, but its progress does not seem very evident.