Light The Lamp: The debate – Eichel or McDavid?

The story of the 2015 NHL Draft is not what team will end up with the top picks. That’s a given. The Edmonton Oilers, Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets, Philadelphia Flyers and Carolina Hurricanes are throwing their hats into the ring like they do in most years. No, the more interesting storyline is who will end up at the top, a continental competition between the premier U.S. and Canadian prospects. Let’s take a look and see who could take that coveted number one spot.

We’ll start with the Canadian phenom, Connor McDavid. Playing for the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League, the 17-year-old has put up an unreal 51 points in 18 games. Even while missing time due to injury after breaking his hand accidentally punching the end boards in a fight, he’s still just four points behind the league’s leading scorer in teammate Dylan Strome, who has 55 points through 27 games.

Talking to the Erie Times-News about his decision to fight, McDavid came to his own defense, saying, “I think it was the right thing to do [at the time]. I’d rather fight than turtle or anything like that. There’s not a whole lot you can do in that situation.”

McDavid has been touted by the nation of hockey as its top prospect, and rightfully so.

Now a selectee for the Canadian World Junior team, he’ll be able to showcase his immense offensive skill on an international level. The Ontario native’s style of play doesn’t lend itself to attributes favored in a bruiser, but his team mentality and willingness to stand up for himself are very attractive qualities to have in a future leader of an NHL team.

As for the United States, we don’t have to travel far at all to find the top U.S. prospect. We don’t even have to leave campus. Playing right at Agganis Arena, BU’s very own Jack Eichel is the top American prospect, putting up 87 points in 53 games last year as a member of the U.S. National Under-18 team. Eichel has tallied 21 points in 13 games played as a Terrier so far, good enough to lead the nation in scoring.

He’s shown a wicked shot and a tremendous ability to skate, going coast to coast and firing a wrister over the far shoulder of University of Maine goalie Sean Romeo in overtime on Nov. 21. Eichel can also use his 6-foot-2, 194-pound frame as a screen in front to tip in goals, such as the one he scored at Conte Forum against Boston College. He’s a force to be reckoned with outside the circles. Faceoffs prove to be quite a different story. A faceoff can be key in establishing possession in clutch situations, and Eichel has had a hard time winning at the dot. But that’s a minor flaw for Eichel, as his other skills far and beyond make up for his struggles in the faceoff circle.

So who goes number one, Eichel or McDavid? Well, it depends on the team. If Edmonton ends up with the top pick, their play is for fast guys with quick shots, like Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov and pretty much anyone on the Oilers’ top two lines. They also have a lack of depth at center, so they would certainly benefit from either player, but McDavid is the best choice to complement the roster. If Buffalo starts off the draft, however, they’re probably looking for a little more physicality, as the Sam Reinhart experiment hasn’t gone as well as they had hoped. So in their case, Eichel would be the probable choice. These two will go number one and two regardless of the teams in the spots, but as to the specific order, we’ll have to wait until the NHL Draft Lottery to see who will end up the new number one pick.