Policy groups gather signatures to legalize marijuana use

In an attempt to advance the next round of ballot question certification, marijuana advocacy groups such as Bay State Repeal and the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana like Alcohol kicked off signature drives on Sept. 22. PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY SARAH SILBIGER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

In an effort to legalize marijuana use for Massachusetts residents over the age of 21, the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol and Bay State Repeal, organizations, which both started signature drives Sept. 22, have been gathering thousands of supporters for their petitions to be placed on the November 2016 ballot.

Both groups will need to gather nearly 65,000 signatures from registered voters by December to proceed to the next round of certification from the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office.

The mission of the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol is to legalize adult possession of marijuana and limited home growing. This includes enacting a controlled system of distribution, allowing towns and cities to impose their own limits on marijuana use and adding a 3.75 percent sales tax on marijuana, according to their website.

“We’ve garnered quite a bit of support,” said Jim Borghesani, a spokesman for the campaign. “About a dozen legislators have signed onto our petition, so we’re very happy about that. In contrast, in Colorado, where a similar initiative was passed in 2012, only one elected official in the whole state supported that initiative.”

The campaign has already gathered between 25,000 and 30,000 of the 64,750 signatures needed for the petition to pass, Borghesani said. Although the legislative support so far is pleasing, Borghesani said he looks forward to spreading the campaign’s message to other entities throughout the entire state.

“We want support across the state from organizations, but primarily regular voters,” said Borghesani. “They’re the ones who are going to pass us.”

Bay State Repeal, another organization petitioning to legalize marijuana in Massachusetts, seeks to ease restrictions for adults and prevent access for children, according their website.

Steve Epstein, a spokesman for Bay State Repeal, said the organization considers voter signatures a priority, as well.

“We’re looking for support from voters, registered voters that will sign the petition,” Epstein said. “Right now that’s the only thing that’s important.”

In addition to support from voters, the petition has been endorsed by Barbara Anderson, former director of Citizens for Limited Taxation, as well as the Massachusetts Cannabis Reform Coalition, the Libertarian Party of Massachusetts and a few other smaller marijuana policy-oriented groups, Epstein said.

After either group gathers the necessary amount of signatures, the Massachusetts State Legislature will review whether to enact the policy before May 2016. If it is not enacted, more signatures will be required to place it on the November 2016 ballot.

Several residents shared varied opinions about marijuana, but many agreed that the petition would most likely pass.

Serge Soucy, 26, of Allston, said he is apprehensive about seeing marijuana legalized, but would be apathetic if it were to happen.

“It’s no worse than cigarettes so it’ll probably pass and it’ll probably be fine,” he said. “But I don’t use it, I really don’t care. I’d rather it not, but honestly it’s not any worse than cigarettes or alcohol.”

Mylia Hunt, 29, of Dorchester, said she agrees with the campaigns’ idea that legalizing marijuana would be a positive change in Massachusetts, but also thinks there should be restrictions on marijuana possession.

“If they legalize it, then it would be less of an issue or problem. The people who do smoke it, would have it,” she said. “Probably [there should be restrictions] about the amount you are able to legally have, especially on you.”

Unlike Hunt, downtown Boston resident Jeremy Austin, 33, believes that there should be no restrictions on marijuana possession and use.

“I mean if it’s [for people] over 21 I don’t see the reason [for banning it],” he said. “ It should be legalized. It should be legalized nationally within the next 10 years.”

Austin also said he believes that legalization of marijuana will bring nothing but positive changes to Massachusetts. He cited the success of Colorado, saying that the revenue gained from the tax on marijuana will be useful for improving infrastructure.

“Colorado made $20 million in the first year off of taxes alone,” he said. “$20 million could fix the [Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority] Green Line, it could do a lot of things. We’re what, $2 billion dollars over budget in Boston? $20 million dollars is still a drop in the bucket, but it’s a big drop.”