Lacrosse, Sports

Mallory Collins continues to lead women’s lacrosse

Mallory Collins has continued to lead BU during her senior season. PHOTO BY SARAH SILBIGER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University women’s lacrosse team saw several players step up in this past weekend’s win over Lafayette College, the least of which was senior attack Mallory Collins.

The Hingham native and Preseason All-Patriot League honoree registered a hat trick and an assist in the 15-10 victory for the Terriers (6-6, 4-2 Patriot League). Her impressive performance brought her total goals on the season up to 24 in 12 games, tying sophomore attack Mickenzie Larivee for the team lead.

BU head coach Liz Robertshaw said Collins’ knowledge and experience are invaluable assets to the team.

“She is a calming voice on our attack,” Robertshaw said. “She is one of the best overall stick handlers, shooters and finishers in the game. That adds a level of confidence to our attacking unit, because they know they can count on her for big goals.”

Terrier offense buzzes in Patriot League play 

After sputtering some to start off the year, the Terriers’ attack has hit its stride when it matters most down the stretch.

They have netted 142 goals for an impressive average of 11.83 a game, good for second in the Patriot League behind Bucknell University. Meanwhile, the Terriers’ 29.42 shots per game are the most in the conference.

Robertshaw said that sort of production paves the way for a diverse range of threats to emerge around the cage.

“It’s not just going to be Mallory Collins or just Mickenzie Larivee,” Robertshaw said. “You’re going to see a lot of different people have different options. That allows a lot more scorers. I think we’re starting to click. We have a lot of players who are gaining confidence in their scoring abilities, and they’re seeing some great looks.”

BU remains calm under pressure in second half 

While BU has struggled somewhat in the first half, it has shown an unwavering compete level when time winds down in the second stanza.

This season, the Terriers have been outscored 69-65 in the first period, while massively outscoring their opponents 77-59 in the second. This trend surfaced in last weekend’s win over Lafayette (5-8, 1-4 Patriot League), as BU faced an 8-5 halftime deficit and stormed back to record a statement win.

Robertshaw couldn’t pinpoint why her team occasionally encounters speed bumps in the first half, but she said an unrelenting attitude often proves to be the difference.

“I wish I knew why we went down in the first half of these games,” Robertshaw said. “They’re capable of going out and winning by leading … I think they’re a never-quit team. They’re a group that doesn’t get rattled about being underdogs.”

Defensive strength shows despite remaining room for improvement

The Terriers are in the midst of a 4-2 run since the middle of March, and a major reason for that is the sure presence of junior goalkeeper Caroline Meegan.

She has allowed 9.83 goals a game in that stretch, and boasts a .500 save percentage despite missing three games to injury. Her efforts have been buoyed by junior defenders Janelle Macone and Charlotte Castronovo and sophomore defender Maria Guerra, all of whom have started each of BU’s 12 games.

Robertshaw said her team has shown well in its own zone, but there are still times when the performance could be better.

“I think we have moments where we don’t follow our game plan or we don’t finish a defensive set as well as we could,” Robertshaw said. “… If we can get [goals against average] down to around eight, I would be happier.”