EDITORIAL: Better rankings only affect those who are coming or have gone

Boston University has been an acclaimed higher education institution for many years, but another trophy for the case never hurts. U.S. News and World Report ranked BU 39th in its 2017 National Universities Rankings Tuesday, moving it up two spots from its previous ranking.

“[U.S. News and World Report] recognized all the new laboratories, classroom space, academic support and new student residences,” BU spokesman Colin Riley said in an Daily Free Press article.

Though the editorial board obviously chose to study at BU for one reason or another, the value behind a higher ranking is debatable.

More publicity about an improving institution can’t be a bad thing, but it also is not earth-shattering. An employer is not likely to comment to a recent grad on the recent two-spot jump from No. 41 to No. 39. However, it will be interesting to see in the future if a degree from BU will be worth more as universities become more and more competitive.

Employers know quality workers when they see them, and if BU continues to rise in the rankings, then degrees will simply become more valuable. It is a common saying that once you’re admitted to Harvard University, you never need to worry about a job. BU is still far from No. 2 in the rankings, but an improvement in ranking can only help.

Applications and acceptances into Top-50 universities have become more selective each year, in part due to a decreased number of admitted students from previous years. The average SAT score of the BU Class of 2020 was 1913, with an average GPA of an A-.

Rankings and reputation, and when they change for better or worse, have a bigger impact on students coming in than students leaving. Students that have already chosen BU have done so for a reason, but it’s primarily based on a specialized choice.

BU’s journalism department is ranked fifth in the nation by USA TODAY College, Questrom is ranked as the nation’s 29th best business school by Bloomberg and the School of Medicine is ranked the 29th best medical school by U.S. News. The students that come to these schools have already decided on a profession and are career-minded. They would rather look at the strengths and rankings of their specific programs than the ranking of the school overall, proving the shift from 41 to 39 to be irrelevant.

Rankings do matter greatly to those who cannot visit the schools before applying, particularly international students. With little knowledge outside of rankings, these are important considerations when selecting a home for the next four years. Studying abroad is also a higher cost for international students, and a higher ranking promises higher recognition and a higher chance of scoring employment following school. These things do matter.

Parents and alumni are also huge cheerleaders for the change, as evidenced by the comment sections on the BU Today article announcing BU’s climb in rank.  They are paying for a child to attend BU, or have already attended themselves, so a bump in rank validates their financial investment in the university. Good marketing simply appreciates the value of an investment. For alumni in particular, the better ranking gives BU another opportunity to solicit money from its benefactors.

Those most affected by the 39th-place rank are those who have not yet entered BU or have already left Commonwealth Avenue behind. A lower ranking really only matters for stakeholders, not students.