Women’s hockey splits weekend against UNH, Vermont

Junior forward Victoria Bach now has one goal and two assists in 2016-17. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHTORA/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s hockey team split games this past weekend against the University of New Hampshire and the University of Vermont. 

First, the Terriers (2-1, 2-1 Hockey East) defeated the Wildcats (0-4, 0-1 Hockey East) on Friday night, 5-1. They then fell to the Catamounts, 3-2 (2-0, 1-0 Hockey East), away from home on Sunday afternoon.

Against UNH, both teams started the game with high energy and aggressive play, yet neither could pull away. BU barely outshot UNH 11-10 in the first period.

While senior forward Maddie Elia scored just 1:23 into the game, the Wildcats evened the score with a goal from junior Carlee Toews later in the period at 16:07. Junior goaltender Erin O’Neil stopped the initial shot from freshman Meghara McManus, but the puck popped out of her glove and Toews poked home the rebound.

O’Neil had a strong game against the Wildcats, contributing 18 saves on the evening. BU head coach Brian Durocher was impressed with his netminder’s composure.

“I don’t think we need our goalies to win the game for us every night,” Durocher said. “We need them to make sure that we’re not giving up the soft goal. We’re giving our team a chance to build on a lead.” 

BU began to pull ahead in the second frame, as freshman forward Natasza Tarnowski notched her first collegiate goal just under three minutes into the period. 

Just before the halfway mark in the contest, junior forward Victoria Bach extended the Terriers’ lead to 3-1 with her first goal of the year. The Terriers scored twice more in the final frame, both by Samantha Sutherland.

While on the power play, sophomore forward Sammy Davis sent a shot on goal, and the puck deflected off Sutherland and slipped through the five-hole for the Terriers’ fourth goal of the night. Despite having seven opportunities, it was the only power-play goal of the night for BU. The penalty kill remained perfect, though. 

Ten minutes later, Sutherland scored the Terrier’s fifth of the game.

On Sunday, the Terriers then travelled to Burlington, Vermont to take on the Catamounts and did not find the same success, ultimately receiving the first loss of the season.

In the first period, freshman Eve-Audrey Picard netted a power-play goal just 3:05 into the game. Picard has started off her collegiate career season strong with three goals and one assist.

However, Sutherland evened the score at 12:45 with a stellar shot that passed Vermont goaltender Melissa Black. Sutherland was assisted by freshman defender Abby Cook and Davis. Davis now has eight assists this season.

“It’s been more assists than goals, but I think that is a testament to [Davis] being a well-rounded player, someone who is really strong around the wall and the net.” Durocher said.

Six minutes later, Vermont’s forward Saana Valkama scored and this concluded the end of the first period.

Neither team scored during into the second period, despite BU attempting 19 shots on goal and Vermont attempting 14. Senior goaltender Victoria Hanson blocked an impressive 36 shots against the Catamounts.

“She played real solid.” Durocher said. “It’s the biggest position in this game and [it’s] always important to have your goalie give you a chance to win, and I think she did that.”

In the third period, the Terriers moved the puck well, and Sutherland evened the scored on a slap shot with about eight minutes left in the gamae. The stalemate, however was short-lived.

Vermont forward Alyssa Gorecki scored in the crease at the 15:01 mark, advancing their lead. By the afternoon’s end, Vermont’s 3-2 lead held.

“Unfortunately in hockey you’re not going to get all pretty goals or plays and we’ve got to do a better job there in every game we play,” Durocher said, “and might as well start next week at [Pennsylvania State University].”