Field Hockey, Sports

No. 14 field hockey snags weekend wins vs. Lehigh, No. 13 BC

Senior forward Amanda Cassera paces the Terriers in scoring with 18 points. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The No. 14 Boston University field hockey team had a strong weekend, claiming back-to-back victories over Lehigh University at home on Saturday and at No. 13 Boston College on Sunday.

The first game against the Mountain Hawks (5-10, 2-3 Patriot League) was a rout, with BU (10-4, 3-1 Patriot League) claiming an outstanding 24-1 shot advantage over its opponent.  

The game started slow, with both teams not able to produce many opportunities. The Terriers slowly started create some solid chances, though, including four penalty corners in the span of just three minutes, but couldn’t convert them into goals.

With just over a minute remaining in the first half, senior forward Amanda Cassera slotted one past the goalkeeper to lift the Terriers to a halftime lead. Cassera had two goals in the game and now has a team-leading eight on the year.

That proved to be the deciding goal, as Lehigh’s lone shot of the contest came in the second half. BU head coach Sally Starr was quite pleased with her defense’s intensity.

“To hold a team to no shots until the very end, you’re doing something well,” Starr said.

The key to the Terriers’ strategy was keeping the play in Lehigh’s half of the field, which allowed them to wear down their opponent and create consistent chances.

The victory improved the Terriers to a 3-1 in conference play. Lehigh fought hard in the first half to keep the game close, but BU stepped up its play in the second half and was able to crack the Mountain Hawk defense.

The second half was an offensive display, with goals from sophomore forward Kara Enoch, junior forward Grace Boston, Cassera and senior forward Madeline McClain.

“We really generated some really sweet hockey down the flank,” Starr said.

Boston’s goal in particular was a sight to behold, as she scored on a wrap-around backhand past the goalkeeper to finish off a great run that eluded several defenders. It was the Broomall, Pennsylvania native’s third of the year.

The Terriers had a tougher time against crosstown rival BC (7-7) on Sunday, though.

The two teams played to a scoreless tie in regulation, and in the 78th minute, McClain’s goal gave BU the victory.

BU fared better in this matchup than the last time it faced the Eagles, a 2-1 overtime loss in September of last year.

The Terriers bested the Eagles in both shots (12-6) and shots on goal (5-2), and played with intensity throughout the match.

Starr’s strategy in the overtime period revolved around pushing for offensive possession.

“We wanted to maintain possession, be the athletes we are, and unlock the cage by moving their very aggressive keeper,” Starr said.

She praised both goalkeepers, BU senior Cammy Jensen and BC redshirt junior Audra Hampsch for their play, as the two combined to make six saves on seven shots on goal. This marked the first time all year that the Eagles had been shut out.

The Terriers, now winners of three in a row, will look to carry the momentum from this weekend’s contests into home matchups with the College of the Holy Cross next Friday and defending national champion No. 2 Syracuse University on Oct. 23.