The Blue Line: Balance of power shifting in the NFL

Despite their offensive efficiency, Khalil Mack and the Raiders defense need to step up their game. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Week 10 of NFL action was by far this season’s most exciting as a whopping 11 games were decided by seven points or less.

With the New England Patriots’ loss in Foxborough to the Seattle Seahawks, Dallas is the only team left in the NFL with just one loss. The Cowboys have the best record in football, and sit atop ESPN’s Power Rankings. Their current eight-game win streak is even more impressive than it seems.

The last time the Cowboys had an eight-game winning streak was 1977. For context, in 1977, Jimmy Carter was president of the United States, Tom Brady was born, and the Baltimore Ravens, Carolina Panthers, Houston Texans and Jacksonville Jaguars all did not exist. Lastly, the Cowboys are doing this with a rookie quarterback selected in the fourth round, and a rookie running back who currently leads the NFL in rushing.

It is safe to say that the balance of power is shifting in the NFL. While some teams are regaining a spot in the Super Bowl contender position, others are quickly falling from grace. Others still are making important strides toward becoming contenders.

Before discussing the shift of power, it is important to note a few things that will seemingly never change: the Patriots’ status as Super Bowl contenders, and the fact that the Cleveland Browns are absolutely awful. Looking ahead at the Browns schedule, I do not see them winning any of their remaining games, becoming just the fifth team since 1944 to go completely winless in a season.

We’ve already discussed the Cowboys’ resurgence to the NFL’s elite. Another team on the rapid rise is the Oakland Raiders. Quarterback Derek Carr continues to get better each week. He’s got one of the best wide receiver duos in the league in Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree, and he also has got a rock solid running back package in Latavius Murray and DeAndre Washington at his disposal.

The Raiders defense, led by Khalil Mack, has not been great. They give up an average of 398 yards per game (28th in the league) and 24.8 points per game (21st). They have made big stops when they needed them the most, though. And, for the most part, they haven’t had to be all that good.

Finally, the Raiders have a tough schedule this year. The AFC West is a powerhouse of a division. The reigning Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos have one of the most dominant defenses in the NFL. Andy Reid’s Kansas City Chiefs have created a formidable balance of offense, defense and game management. The San Diego Chargers have been more than a spoiler so far, behind dominant play from running back Melvin Gordon. The Raiders have one of the hardest — if not the hardest — path to the playoffs in the league.

Other teams that have been dominant forces in the league for the past few years have seen their power slip. This past weekend, the Tennessee Titans cruised to a 47-25 victory over the Green Bay Packers behind stellar performances from Marcus Mariota and DeMarco Murray. The Packers have struggled mightily this season, and their weaknesses, especially on defense, were exposed and exploited this Sunday in Nashville.

Aaron Rodgers simply has not looked like Aaron Rodgers this year. He still occasionally shows flashes of greatness, but overall, he’s playing at maybe half of his potential. Coach Mike McCarthy has had some interesting personnel decisions to make with the many injuries his team has endured, especially given the loss of Eddie Lacy. That does not excuse him from the many errors he’s made, and he will most definitely be in the hot seat if the Packers miss the playoffs.

Although there are still seven weeks to be played, the 2016 season has shown us everything. The NFC East — which last season featured three teams below .500 — now features all four teams over .500. Along with the AFC West, it is in the discussion for best division in the league.  The young Tennessee Titans are proving to be a serious threat to the Houston Texans in the AFC South. There have been not one but two tied games already. And the playoffs are wide open, which means that the next seven weeks will be worth watching.