Men’s soccer done in by injuries and inconsistency on offense this season

Senior forward Felix De Bona led the Terriers in points this season. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Senior forward Felix De Bona was tied for the team lead in points this season. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University men’s soccer team’s season season came to a halt on Nov. 8 following its heartbreaking shootout loss to Bucknell University in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament. The team’s sometimes inconsistent offense let them down again in that contest as they could only muster one goal.

One season removed from an NCAA Tournament appearance, this Terriers (8-6-3, 4-3-2 Patriot League) campaign could be seen as a mild disappointment with their premature postseason exit.

BU head coach Neil Roberts said he knew he had to address his team’s inconsistencies on the offensive side, even at the beginning of the season.

“Being consistent and scoring goals was always difficult for us,” Roberts said. “Sadly enough, we created chances, and usually that’s the most difficult thing, but we had some quality chances, but just could never able to get up 1-0 and that was the struggle for us most of the year.”

The team’s defense, however, found its stride down the stretch as BU won five of its last six regular season games, while conceding just one goal during that span.

Roberts said he thought that stretch was a turning point for the BU team, which saw tremendous goalkeeping efforts from senior Matt Gilbert.

“I think we started defending better,” Roberts said. “That took some of the pressure off Gilbert and that was the reason for him starting to play better. I think that was the key. We were just better defensively.”

In addition to Gilbert, the Terriers are losing some other key seniors this offseason.

Forward Felix De Bona and his team-leading eight goals will be gone next year. Gilbert led the league in saves per game and defensemen David Asbjornsson was as steady as it gets on a backline that allowed the third-lowest goals per game against conference foes.

Roberts said he knows what he’s going to be missing next year, but managed to find a silver lining.

“You lose the spine of your team,” Roberts said. “But that’s a good sign. You know I always say it, ‘if you’re not losing good players then you’re struggling.’ It was fun to watch them all develop. We’ll miss them … but it’s someone else’s turn to come along and take their spot and it’s someone else’s turn to take their spot and become leaders for us.”

One thing that Roberts would like to improve next season is the ability to create scoring chances on the road.

After all, the Terriers had a 7-2-1 record at home, but only supported a 1-4-2 mark away from Nickerson Field, netting just one goal in all but three of their road matches.

“I think it comes down to scoring goals,” Roberts said. “I thought every away game we were in it and we just didn’t get that goal that put us in front. I think it all came down to being a little bit more efficient offensively.”

Perhaps the biggest return for BU next season will be Anthony Viteri. The junior midfielder had another solid season with 18 points, which was tied with De Bona for best on the team.

Viteri’s play next season will be highly indicative of how well the team performs, Roberts said, but has plenty of confidence in his star player.

“Anthony is obviously a very talented player,” Roberts said. “We expect big things from him and he expects big things from himself. He’s an extremely hard worker and obviously we more people around him to give him space and to be able to play his game.”

Freshman forward Matt McDonnell should also provide key offense next year, as his eight points were third-best on the team.

Viteri is just one bright spot for what looks to be a young Terriers side next year, and Roberts expects his team to execute.

“We expect to be better than we were this year,” Roberts said. “We’re just not where we want to be, and so that will be our goal.”