JOHNSTON: Putting in work

Less than two weeks have gone by since the inauguration, and President Donald Trump has officially demonstrated what it means to put in work. In a week, this man made power moves left and right, showing us that he is dead serious about getting things accomplished in office.

You may not agree with his border wall, immigration bands, trade deals or take down of the Affordable Care Act, but it is remarkable how swiftly Trump has signed legislature. We never see such eagerness to get things done in Washington D.C. so it’s a bit of fresh air for some.

He’s been going to interviews, making important phone calls, meeting with the Central Intelligence Agency and pushing Congress to actually do something, all while constantly tweeting at the American people about what’s going on. I’m guessing he’s a four-hour-a-night kind of sleeper.

Indeed, the tweets often seem to be a tad on the unnecessary side of things, but I happen to enjoy them. Its gives a sense of humanity to him, making us aware that he’s very connected to the people of this country. He’s going to tell us what’s on his mind and not hide behind the closed doors of the Oval Office, only to emerge at press conferences.

I wish he made less typos, but, hey, the man is 70 years old and you make typos, too. Also, not sure what the deal is with the statements that are multiple tweets long, but I find it amusing that he misses the point of having one tweet per idea.

Currently, most news stations are just rolling their eyes while their hyper-liberal followers continue to share their biased stories that make fun of Trump supporters, effectively distancing themselves from any reasonable chance of having their opinions recognized by the other side.

What’s clear is that any reporter who bashes Trump will potentially get blasted by the president either via tweet or at a press conference. It’s crazy to see, but Trump’s practice has certainly proven to make these journalists think twice before sharing something.

Many Americans have been inspired by Trumps’ boldness in office. He isn’t afraid to speak his mind, make jokes at press conferences or sign bills that not everyone agrees with. He does so in a way that may irritate the haters, but that’s definitely not keeping him up at night.

Of more substance than tweets or criticisms of bad media outlets, Trump is playing some serious hardball in hopes of keeping America safe. Despite the majority of Americans who are not in support of a large-scale wall on the Mexican border, Trump has gone right ahead to make it a priority. Will it create jobs? Yes. Will it prevent illegal immigrants from entering the country? Probably. Is it a priority? I can’t say it is.

Although I’m not exactly sure why so many people seem to think keeping our borders secure is inhumane, a wall will prove to be more of a symbol than a practical necessity. It’s pretty embarrassing to the Mexican people, something I believe Trump wants to utilize to stir the pot when negotiating with their president, from whom he expects to receive money for the wall’s creation. I am hoping that “Trump: The Art of the Deal” serves him well in those awkward talks.

Thinking of the phone call Trump had with Mexico’s president a few days ago, it will be interesting to see how the plan continues. Regardless, I think the American people are privileged to have a negotiator in office, fighting for better deals. All of this in under two weeks, as well.

This whole wall thing is inflated by what many are calling the “Muslim ban,” which is a bit of an overstatement seeing as Muslims are still allowed to come here and practice their religion. Trump has been confusing on this, and there have been some strange refusals of letting good Muslims return back to the U.S. after being abroad which it’s unsettling to many and needs to be addressed.

Simply put, I think most Americans just want a clearer picture of what’s going on with this immigration strategy, and the majority are more than happy to lend a hand in helping the innocent lives of the war torn Middle East. I’m hoping Trump adds that to the laundry list.

I think the most remarkable thing is the fact that Trump is sticking with his campaign promises. Most presidents don’t do that, and he certainly will. Within one month this guy may do more than most full-term commander-in-chiefs.