Lacrosse, Sports

Coming off close loss, women’s lacrosse set to face Lafayette

Caroline Meegan, third in the nation in saves per game, will face a Lafayette offense that has scored 10 or more goals in every game this season. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

After a tough but hard fought 13-12 loss against Lehigh University, the Boston University women’s lacrosse team will continue conference play when it takes on Lafayette College at Nickerson Field on Saturday.

Last weekend, the Terriers (4-6, 2-2 Patriot League) were helped by an impressive performance from senior attacker Elisabeth Jayne, who scored three goals. As for the Mountain Hawks (8-3, 3-1 Patriot League), the bulk of their production came from senior midfielder Julianne D’Orazio and senior attacker Allison Labeau, who combined for seven goals, including a game-clinching goal from D’Orazio that capped off a 6-0 run and solidified their victory.

The loss moved BU’s conference record to 2-2. In both games, BU had a lead at the halftime mark.

Head coach Liz Robertshaw acknowledged their poor performances in the second half.

“We’re looking to finish these games,” Robertshaw said. “These games are going to be close and competitive in conference play and we need to embrace that.”

A one-goal loss can be deflating, but with regards to the team’s mentality going into the next game, the only option is to stay focused and move on.

“After a tough loss like that, our team knew we had to do a little soul searching and find a source of motivation, and I think that can give a lot of confidence to our players,” Robertshaw said.

The Leopards (9-3, 4-0 Patriot League) are a daunting opponent. Sitting at 9-3, they have a perfect record in conference play as well as a 6-1 record on the road. However, the Terriers sport an equally impressive 3-1 record at home, meaning this game will buck a trend for one team at Nickerson Field.

The Terriers’ home and away splits tell two different stories: at home, they are 3-1, yet on the road, they’ve lost four of five games.

Robertshaw said she thinks her team has played well both on the road and at home, but acknowledged that there is a certain comfort factor when it comes to playing at Nickerson Field.

There is no doubt that Jayne will have an impact this Saturday. She leads the team with 22 goals, including eight in the last two games. The title for team leader in points belongs to two players: senior attacker Taylor Hardison and freshman attacker Kailey Conry, who both have 27 points for the season so far.

The Leopards’ offense has been superb all season. They’ve scored at least 10 goals in every game and are coming off a 20-goal performance against American University. Stopping them will be a priority for Robertshaw and the Terriers.

“The Leopards are having a really good season, especially their offense; so our defense knows it has to be locked in all game,” Robertshaw said.

In order to keep them in check, senior goalkeeper Caroline Meegan will be at the heart of the action. Her success has been profound so far, with a total of six games with double-digit saves. The Lutherville, Maryland native is third in the nation in saves per game with 11.6.

Another crucial factor for Robertshaw’s Terriers will be draw controls. Against Lehigh, they won an impressive 16 draw controls to Lehigh’s 11. BU has steadily improved in the draw control circle from where it began the season. Draw controls have been a point of emphasis for the team all season in practice and on game day.

“The draw control is going to be a big factor for this game,” Robertshaw said.