EDITORIAL: New York proves free college education is possible

Bernie Sanders, the self-proclaimed Democratic Socialist and 2016 presidential candidate, ran on a platform of income equality, immigration reform and free public education at the collegiate level. Though the Vermont senator didn’t make it past the primaries, it seems like at least one of his major goals is becoming a reality. This weekend, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that New York state colleges, including State University of New York and City University of New York, will offer free tuition to students that qualify. This makes New York the first state to offer free public college education.

While this seems like an incredibly progressive initiative on the surface, the requirements for students to receive the Excelsior Scholarship, as this program is known, are quite specific. Only families that make $100,000 or less will be eligible for the scholarship, which will increase to and cap at $125,000 in 2019. It’s also mandatory for recipients to complete college in four years or less, as full-time students, and stay in the state for a minimum of four years after graduating.

Though this program helps the middle class, which often gets neglected in terms of financial aid and tuition, the specifics of these qualifications make it difficult to truly say that the Excelsior program helps the entire class. While tuition will be free for those under the salary cap, this program does not apply to room and board or other additional expenses. In a state where costs for housing and meal plans often double the actual cost of tuition, how could this truly benefit students coming from lower-middle class families? The program only applies to a small slice of the demographic it means to help. When education is considered a top priority in this country, it’s disappointing to see a program with such promise lack the depth it needs.

The Excelsior Scholarship is also limiting to the individual students that qualify for it. Students are required to graduate in four years and stay in school full-time, but for many low-income students, they must balance academics with work. Many students who attend college part-time will not be eligible for the scholarship, which is counteractive to the main goals of the program. It is also concerning to give out free tuition to such a large population of the student body — this would apply to one-fifth of the current undergraduate population in public universities in New York — because it could put the quality of education at stake. When money isn’t coming from students, where will it come from? Will the state be able to fully match the money these schools will lose from tuition breaks? New York should not run the risk of cutting classes or firing needed professors.

It’s interesting that New York, out of all 50 states, is the first to implement free tuition at their public schools. Several other states, such as California, Texas and even Massachusetts have much more well-known and prestigious state school systems. While New York wouldn’t be the last on the list of best public schools, it isn’t ranked in the top 10 either. So why would New York have this initiative so high up on their to-do list? The answer: to increase competition. The oftentimes neglected SUNYs and CUNYs need more highly qualified students to attend in order to increase rankings and competitiveness. Free tuition is a fairly positive incentive for students with higher GPAs and test scores. Though these colleges might not be the most renowned universities, students who can’t afford a college education will take advantage of this opportunity. It’s hard to ignore a program that cuts the cost of college in half and the SUNY system certainly needs the edge.

Not only will the college public school system benefit from this program, but so will the state. While the regulation to reside in New York for four years after graduation might hinder some, it’s a fair trade. The state must get something out of this exchange. An influx of recent college graduates could help boost the state’s economy and ensure that students aren’t leaving the state in waves after they finish school. Once these graduates find a job and settle down, they’re even less likely to leave after their four years are up. New York’s deal is smart for both the students and the state.

Now that this kind of legislation was created and passed, other states should put efforts into creating paths to free tuition. While this program might not be perfect, every long-term solution has to start somewhere. If we as a nation truly believe in free college education for all, this is an impressive first step. An Excelsior Scholarship could be even more impactful in other states with larger and more distinguished public school systems. However, some states might not have the money to make up for the lack of tuition. With California in particular, while students could benefit from this program, the University of California system would have to start relying on out-of-state tuition to keep their schools running. They can’t afford to offer free tuition to such a substantial portion of their student body. Other states like Massachusetts — progressive in nature — should consider this option to alleviate part of their students’ burden.

Recently, a large deciding factor for incoming college freshman is whether or not their degree is worth it. When students are spending upward of $70,000 a year for their education, that’s a fair question to ask. In the end, though, most job applicants won’t be considered for a position without a bachelor’s degree. Regardless of which school it’s coming from, if college tuition is free, it’s hard to say it isn’t worth it.

1. Dear Sir/Madam,

Your blog is really good and proved a knowledgeable medium for the community. If anyone is interested in the undergraduate or graduate program then, here is “Virginia International University Scholarship Programme for International Students in USA, 2017” which is available for the international students.
    Scholarship Deadline: September 1, 2017.

Applicants can get more information about the Scholarship through the given link:
    http://scholarship-positions.com/virginia-international-university-scholarship-programme-international-students-usa/2017/04/29/

If you want to read articles related to scholarships like, how to apply for scholarship, how to get scholarship, Scholarship thank you letter etc. Then go through the given link: http://scholarship-positions.com/blog/