EDITORIAL: Boston Marathon is for everyone, handcyclists included

Yesterday, almost one million spectators stood on the sidelines of the 121st Boston Marathon from Hopkinton to Copley Square, pressing against the fences, holding signs or cheering for their loved ones as well as strangers. More than 25,000 participants rushed through the streets to reach that 26.2 mile marker and receive their celebratory wreaths and announcements as they passed the finish line. One group of participants received this honor for the first time in Boston Marathon history.

As runners started their journeys, handcyclists also made their way through the route. These handcycles are powered mostly by civilians with disabilities, wounded veterans and survivors of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings. Yet, before this year, they are denied the same celebration upon their end of the race. Handcyclists had not been receiving the same acknowledgement as runners or even participants in wheelchairs. This group of 30, the highest number of participants yet, have come out before the race to advocate for their equality, according to an article from The Boston Globe.

Though the Boston Athletic Association has promised that the Boston Marathon will be a “world leader in accepting people with disabilities” in the coming years, the neglect of these war heroes and survivors of this city’s worst tragedy has already become a problem. They deserve the same recognition as any other runner, walker or jogger. Though they use machinery due to their own physical limitations, they still traverse the 26.2 miles. It’s the same distance and the same route no matter what form you use to travel.

A group of 30 handcyclists seems quite small in comparison to more than 25,000 runners. Some may argue that they could fall through the cracks when there is so much else going on. Though the amount of handcyclists is growing, their recognition when weighed to runners is weak at best. The BAA has said that the amount of handcyclists must be limited because they take up so much room on the road, and though that may be true, it does not affect how they should be treated at the finish line. Many spectators might not be viewing the Boston Marathon to watch the handcyclists race by, but their participation should be noted by spectators and celebrated by BAA officials.

This outrage coming from handcyclists is finally bringing attention to how they’ve been treated. As athletes, this is terribly insulting. They’re legitimate participants and 26.2 miles is no easy feat no matter who you are and what your capabilities are. A marathon is a marathon, no matter how you do it. All participants deserve the same celebration for accomplishing a task that most people couldn’t qualify for. It’s always a bad idea to single out a certain group, which is essentially what the BAA has done. Now that they’ve realized their mistake, it’s admirable that they’re taking strides to rectify years of neglect. Anyone can be an athlete, even those who need additional machinery.

Handcyclists should be honored, not because they are disabled, but because they have conquered the same task. Some may think they’re at a disadvantage, but these cyclists have learned how to use their weaknesses to excel. We’d normally think of a marathon participant as a runner on their own two feet, but that’s not the reality. With 30 people in handcycles and 55 using wheelchairs, marathons have become much more than just a foot race. We should be recognizing the adversity and challenges that these handcyclists overcome rather than ignoring their accomplishments. They should be honored for completing the marathon regardless of the way they do it. The BAA should be welcoming handcyclists with open arms, not because they’re disabled or wounded, but because they honorably and diligently raced the Boston Marathon, just like any other runner.

Every group and every story is part of what makes the Boston Marathon so unique to this city and its residents. Every participant has a specific reason for why they’re participating, whether it’s to honor a loved one, sponsor an organization or mark a new personal record. Boston’s marathon focuses on inclusion and commending everyone. Spectators cheer for people they don’t even know, follow the paths of bib numbers and encourage those who struggle through the last few miles.

This is what a marathon is about: it’s more than running, more than fitness and more than just reaching a finish line. The Boston Marathon, especially, is much more significant. All participants, whether they be using their feet, a wheelchair or a handcycle should be given the same celebration upon conquering this feat.

1. Obviously the author isn’t in a chair nor has competed in Boston as a wheelchair athlete. You should interview those with disabilities that compete in wheelchairs. The Boston marathon isn’t a cycling event. I’m in a chair. Suffered just as much as anyone with a disability. I don’t think hand cycles should allowed. These articles water down the accomplishment of those with disabilities that truly persevered.