Students bring CSI to campus

Boston University students Nataly Aguirre and Michele Assef found a club for students interested in forensics and crime scene investigation. PHOTO BY JENNA MANTO/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Fans of “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” and “Criminal Minds,” take note — a new Boston University CSI club aims to bring forensics-related events and activities to BU students.

BUCSI President Michele Assef, a sophomore in the College of General Studies, said she and Vice President Nataly Aguirre, also a CGS sophomore, started the club because they noticed a lack of opportunities for undergraduate students interested in forensics.

“We know BU has one of the top grad school programs for biomedical forensic sciences, as well as forensic anthropology,” Assef said, “so we wanted to take advantage of that as much as we can and be … an outlet for students who are hoping to pursue professional careers in that field.”

Assef said the idea of the club has been in the works since last year, and over time it took shape and received Student Activities Office approval late October.

“We mused about it a lot,” Assef said, “but this year, we decided to actually try to start a club.”

Aguirre said the club would be open to anyone, including those who want to pursue forensic science professionally, but also those simply interested in the field.

“I’m not planning for a career in forensics, but I love forensics,” Aguirre said. “Regardless, I feel like this would be not only a fun place, but a place to learn a lot about something that I still don’t know so much about.”

Assef and Aguirre said they hope to show movies, host speakers from the BU graduate program in forensic sciences and hold interactive crime scene simulations for club members.

BUCSI’s faculty advisor Illana Rosen said she is excited to advise a club that will encourage STEM learning among students, especially among women.

“I was very excited that they wanted to start a new group, particularly in the STEM field, because I think more and more female students are pursuing those types of fields,” Rosen said.

Rosen said given the popularity of crime shows like “CSI,” the club might appeal to students who might otherwise consider themselves uninterested in science.

“This is a way to make science more approachable for students who might be a little bit nervous about the topic,” Rosen said.

Rosen said she had high hopes for the club’s ability to help students grow in their professional careers.

“I’m hoping that they are able to do some different forensic projects together, network with people who are interested in that field, hopefully do some career development, and then also pursue the sciences within the club,” Rosen said.

Several new club members, who share an interest in forensics, said they were excited to begin attending club events.

CGS sophomore Camryn DiFiore said she became interested in forensics after she learned about the serial killer mentality in a high school course.

“I don’t think like a serial killer, so it’s interesting to see how other people think,” DiFiore said.

Stephanie Yemane, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she became interested in forensics because of crime shows like “CSI” and “Law and Order.”

“I just think it’s super interesting how you can take a lot of minute details and come to some huge conclusion,” Yemane said.

Yemane, who is studying to be a neurosurgeon, said she was excited to investigate how she could apply her own major to forensics.

“I just hope that [the club will] help more students see that there’s not just one career path in whatever you’re choosing to do,” Yemane said.

Michelle Zaslavski, a sophomore in the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, said she joined the “fun but knowledge-based club” in order to learn about a field of interest that she hadn’t gained too much exposure to.

“This is something that I’ve always been interested in in my life but haven’t necessarily been able to incorporate into my career choice,” Zaslavski said. “It’s cool to have other people who are like-minded and are interested in this kind of stuff.”

Jennifer Small is a junior in the Boston University College of Communication, majoring in journalism and minoring in media science. She is one of the Co-Campus News Editors for Spring 2023.