EDITORIAL: Representation in ‘Black Panther’ is important for black communities

Marvel’s “Black Panther” is set to hit theaters this Friday. The film is the first of its kind, featuring a black superhero fighting evil forces along his team of black sidekicks, all set in the futuristic African nation of Wakanda. Not many times in film history has a movie showcased an almost entirely black cast — and a star-studded cast at that, with big names such as Lupita Nyong’o and Forest Whitaker playing important roles. It’s certainly a first for the Marvel enterprise and one that has been highly anticipated for several months now.

Black Panther’s last cameo was his introduction in Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War” series, grieving his father’s loss. The first solo movie holds much promise and significance, particularly to African-American communities across the nation. For the first time in a while, black culture is being celebrated so unapologetically and unabashedly through a recognizable and more mainstream medium.

More importantly, the anticipation and release of “Black Panther” has given birth to a cultural phenomenon. “Black Panther” fever has touched several neighborhoods in Boston, particularly in communities where African-Americans make up the majority of the population. Community leaders from Roxbury have organized private screenings for their children and teens of the neighborhood to come together and enjoy watching a film with a superhero that more closely resembles them.

“Black Panther” is critical in representation for African-Americans who feel attacked and threatened by current political tides against them right now. Boston has a reputation for being not only a white city, but also a racist city. A movie like this can serve as a beacon of hope for African-Americans to feel welcomed and appreciated on a national scale.

Reflecting upon our own childhoods, we can probably think of a few superheroes and role models found in our favorite movies or books that meant a lot to us. They were our icons — someone we aspired to be when we grew up. They gave us strength and courage, lending us to believe that we could also save the world through incredible superpowers and force. Maybe, we were able to connect to them even more if they looked like us or shared similar attributes to us. This is why it’s important that a black superhero gets time on the big screen, so that maybe a black kid can think that they could also affect this change and wield incredible power and authority like the Black Panther.

A movie like this, which could be a blockbuster, or at the very least, will perform well at box offices for a few weeks, has the potential to reach many people. It holds significant clout amongst critics and Marvel world fanatics. There’s a good chance that kids who don’t often get the chance to see themselves represented on the big screen will be able to by viewing this movie, especially when community groups are making that a possibility for them. Including students who don’t always have the financial means to afford a $9 ticket at the theater makes screenings like these so impactful.

But screenings are meaningful for reasons beyond just alleviating a financial strain on families. They unite and create community for movie-goers who are hoping to take away a little more than just watching a good movie. Events like these makes watching the movie not feel like an isolating experience, and this could be especially helpful for black audiences who already feel they’ve been removed from society. Additionally, a screening can serve as a physical testament to community rather than an abstract “movement” which might not always feel concrete. While there isn’t much of an opportunity to talk during the movie itself, people can connect before and after the screening. Often times, the screening becomes an event in which everyone dresses up as a character from the movie. In many ways, community-sponsored screenings imbues a sense of unity and even excitement for those attending.

Arguably, a two-hour movie might not have the effect of entirely changing or uprooting a black child’s perspective on how their community is viewed by others. But it’s the message these kids take from the movie that matters even more — that they too can be in positions of power and take on any challenge that comes their way, even if that challenge is saving their world from pure evil.

1. This is very fascinating, You’re an overly
    skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and
    look forward to in quest of more of your excellent post.
    Additionally, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks